Baptist Student Ministry students run for cake

Edward Grisham

BSM students run for cake from MWSU Campus Watch on Vimeo.

Students and runners alike met in Sunwatcher plaza on Saturday to raise money for missions. MSU students from the Baptist Student Ministry put on the “I run for cake 5k” to raise money for mission trips over the summer.  After the race, runners were rewarded for their hard work with a cupcake waiting for them at the finish line. This course ran around the block of the MSU campus with water stations posted around the course.

First place finisher, Brett Storseth, said that this was a great way to raise money and have fun.

“This was the 5k on campus, I run for cake. Ashley Mims and some of the girls were doing this to raise money for them to go on Go Now missions this summer. As a pastor, I was excited about that for them. I love to run so I heard about that, signed up and had a good time,” Storseth said.

This event was meant to raise money for the mission trips sponsored by the BSM and Go Now missions later this summer.

“We ended up raising $330 for Go Now missions which are sending 14 of us on mission this summer and the fall as well. The money will go to individual trips or to Go Now to cover cost. But 100 percent goes to missions,” Ashley Mims, senior in social work, said.

All the cupcakes that were given out were made by the students in charge of the 5k. These students believe that the 18 runners and everyone who helped made this event a success.

“A lot of the cupcakes were donated and I made a few for kicks. A lot of people made cupcakes, it was overwhelming,” Mims said.