Tennis looks to win in upcoming team matches

The tennis teams will be taking on four universities this week from Thursday, March 5 to Saturday, March 7, here at MSU Tennis Center.

Head Coach Scott Linn talked about how the tennis teams are keeping recent losses from interfering with their play.

“You learn things as a student-athlete about yourself, you make adjustments, and then you move forward and I think that’s what we’re trying to do,” Linn said.

The teams will be facing Metropolitan State University of Denver, Colorado Mesa University, Colorado State University-Pueblo, and Southwest Baptist University.

Linn said he believes that student support will help secure wins.

“The student-athletes tend to play better whenever they’ve got great fan support,” he said.

Men’s team

The men’s tennis team will be going into these matches with a 4-7 record. While not in their favor, players are keeping this from fazing them.

“Our team is excited to be playing, and losing some close matches got us fired up to do better,” Jean Muniz, undecided junior, said.

Last weekend, the players faced losses at the Intercollegiate Tennis Associate Indoor Team Championship and are working to turn things around.

“We’ve been working on a lot of doubles and also working on our energy daily in practice for the upcoming matches,” Muniz said. “Due to our tough schedule, we need to be able to bring our best tennis every day and every match.”

Women’s team

The women’s team will be facing this weekend with a 5-3 record. Using a good start and good morale, the players are hoping they will add some victories

Pre-med freshman Emilija Visic talked about the strong morale among her and her teammates.

“I bring my best energy to practice every day,” Visic said.

The team is also making sure to focus on strategy, as well, covering some specific areas such as doubles play.

“Doubles is important to us as a team, as when we win, it raises confidence our with singles play,” she said.