Homecoming Sports Recap

Kinesiology senior and defender Imani Morlock keeps the ball away from opposing players. Oct 17. Photo by Colin Stevenson.

Football

The football team blew out Texas A&M-Kingsfield 70-35 Homecoming night Saturday, Oct. 19 at 7 p.m.

Triston Williams (No.19), quarterback and agricultural business sophomore, led the way with a career-high 354 passing yards and tied the school record with six passing touchdowns. This performance earned him the Lone Star Conference Player of the Week.

Williams relied on a myriad of receivers. Kylan Harrison (No.17), wide receiver and criminal justice sophomore, and Xavier Land (No.13), wide receiver and criminal justice senior, each had over a hundred receiving yards, and they had two and one receiving touchdowns respectively.

Lazarus Fisher (No.15), running back and sports and leisure studies redshirt sophomore, had one receiving score and Tyrique Edwards (No.1), wide receiver and criminal justice senior, contributed two receiving touchdowns as well. 

Justin Jones (No.30), running back and history sophomore, and Fisher led the ground game with 88 and 85 rushing yards respectively. They each contributed one of the four rushing touchdowns on the night. 

The boys continue conference play against Western Oregon University in Monmouth, Oregon on Oct. 26 at 3 p.m.

Women’s Soccer

The soccer girls increased their record to 3-8-1 with a 3-1 home victory over Oklahoma Christian University Thursday, Oct. 17 at 7 p.m.

Kelly Cannistra (No.8), midfielder and radiology junior, rifled in two goals to tie Sara Machado (No.10), forward and business junior, as the team’s leading scorer. Nicole Marsolek (No.2), defender and general business freshman, scored her second goal of the year.

Imani Morlock (No.21), defender and kinesiology senior, led the ‘Stangs defense that allowed just eight shots and three shots on goal. Morlock also contributed to the attacking play with two shots, one of which was on goal. Her clean play was indicative of a defense that only one foul in each half. 

The ‘Stangs play Lubbock Christian University on Thursday, Oct. 24 at 5 p.m. at Stang Park.