Students eager for summer break

With the semester ending May 3, students are looking beyond their stress for finals and into their summer vacation with summer school, work, travel, and hanging out with friends’.

Zachary Rouseau, pre-med freshman, said he is ready for finals to be over and looking forward to his study abroad trip.

“This summer initially I will be studying abroad at St. George’s Medical School in Grenada. Once I return, I will be taking some online classes and doing some personal chemistry research and getting ahead for next school year,” Rouseau said. “As well I will be coaching and training middle school basketball players to develop prepare them for the next level of basketball. I will also be training and working out with my trainer who works me out along with many other college and professional basketball players.”

As part of the first study abroad program to Grenada in the Caribbean, students enjoyed time outside of the class at the beach. Photo contributed by Rachel Morgan.
Rachel Morgan

While some students will be traveling this summer, others will be staying home, working.

Venous Davoudi, science sophomore, lives in Wichita Falls with her family and plans to stay in town to work.

“I will be working hard a lot this summer to make some money,” Davoudi said. “I’m also going to try and get skinny, like what I have tried every other summer.”

Returning home with parents and siblings is exciting for some but also leads to many responsibilities.

Margaret Peralta, chemistry freshman, said she is excited to go home and see her family.

“This summer I mainly will just help out with my siblings back home, maybe go out of town a few times,” Peralta said. “I will mainly just work and start saving money again for next semester.”

For students like dental hygiene sophomore Coletta Holland, school doesn’t really stop after finals because summer courses are just right around the corner.

“I will be taking nine credit hours this summer,” Holland said. “I will also be working when I am not doing homework, so that will consume most all my time.”