MSU wellness center hosts 10th annual turkey trot

turkey+trot

Jeffrey Hamon, exercise physiology senior, runs in the Turkey Trot on Nov. 14.

Some 100 people participated in the Turkey Trot at Sikes Lake on Nov. 14. The Turkey Trot is an annual event put on by the Wellness Center. The entry fee for this event was a donation of a non-perishable food item. All donations went to Mustangs Pantry, the new food bank for students.

We typically have a really good turnout for this event,” Angie Reay, wellness center director, said. “Not only with students but with faculty, alumni and community members. We’re more than happy to put on events like these.”

The first 100 participants received a long sleeve shirt with a Turkey Trot logo on it, and the first male winner and first female winner both received turkeys provided by the Wellness Center.

“I chose to participate because I just started running again,” Conner FitzHenry, criminal justice sophomore, said. “I don’t run 5k’s often, so I thought this would be some good practice.”

The participants ran three laps around Sikes Lake.

“My family is running one back at home so that helped motivate me to run this one,” Anna Kittelson, undecided freshman, said.”I don’t really like running, but it was really fun. It’s more fun with a lot of people participating.”

According to Teri Higgins, general business freshman, the only thing she didn’t like about the event was the amount of goose poop that she had to dodge during the run.

“We had to dodge it as we were running,” Higgins said. “I feel like they should have someone power wash the track before events like these.”