Basketball honors seniors at game against West Texas A&M

Makayla Scheck

Avery Queen, biology senior, pose with coaches, family, and administrators with her framed jersey during senior night inbetween the mens and womens basketball game, Saturday Feb. 10, 2018. Photo by Rachel Johnson

Women’s basketball

With one more home game left for the court, Avery Queen, forward/center and biology senior said the basketball game senior night “was a little emotional,” but it hasn’t really hit the women yet.

Basketball hosted a double-header against West Texas A&M on Feb. 10. During the break between the games, the teams and fans honored the seniors that will be graduating in May 2018.

“We have had a lot of ups and downs. We have come together at parts, but we are excited for the conference tournament,” Kristin Rydell, guard and nursing senior said.

The women’s team has five seniors who will be graduating this semester.

Micheline Mercelita, forward and kinesiology senior, has stacked up 374 points and 323 rebounds in her time as a mustang. During the game Saturday, she made 16 points and has made 212 points during her senior season.

During the game against West Texas A&M, Queen totaled six points, and has blocked 30 shots and made 266 points in her career at MSU. Her final basket was made at the :42 mark to bring the team score to 67.

With a total of 287 points and 133 turnovers in her time as a mustang, Jasmine Richardson, guard and exercise physiology senior, managed to sink 11 shots during the game.

Kristin Rydell, made a three-point basket at the 5:16 mark of the second quarter of the game against West Texas. She racked up 313 points and 66 assists in her seasons at MSU.

Although she did not score during the West Texas game, she has a total of 224 points during her senior season Whitney Taylor, forward and education senior, is the scoring leader with 902 career points.

“It has been a really up and down season, but overall it has been really good. We have a lot of confidence in ourselves and each other,” Taylor said. “We are not done yet, we are waiting to peak and make a statement at the conference tournament.”

West Texas A&M rose above the women’s team with a final score of 67-78, but the seniors left their impact by making combined 36 points out of the 67.

Men’s basketball

The men’s team said farewell to six seniors that are set to graduate in May following their final home game

Senior night for the team celebrated the accomplishments of the soon-to-be graduates on Feb. 10 against rivals West Texas A&M.

Josh Huntley, forward and business senior, has made 186 points and 119 rebounds during his MSU career.

Trey Kennedy, psychology senior, hugs Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach Dylan Dudley during senior night, where they honored all the upcoming graduating seniors from the athletic department inbetween the men and women’s basketball games, Saturday Feb. 10, 2018. Photo by Rachel Johnson

Trey Kennedy, guard and psychology senior, made 226 points and has 46 turnovers in his time as a mustang.

De’Quaan Haggerty, senior guard, has 12 total points during his time as a mustang. He was able to play during his senior night game.

Brandon Neel, senior guard, has racked up 863 points and 277 rebounds in his career as a mustang. He made 17 out of the 58 total points scored during the game against West Texas.

“As amustang, I had a better experience than I thought I was gonna have,” Nick Powell, forward and undecided senior, said. “We went to the sweet sixteen one year and won conference another year. It’s been fun.”

According to Powell, he has made a total of 317 points and 16 steals, however with his injury, was unable to play in the game against West Texas.

Pullum has 583 points and 192 steals during his time at MSU. He scored at the 5:48 mark of the game, right after he assisted Kennedy at the 10:16 mark.

Unfortunately, the men’s team was also unable to defeat the West Texas A&M Buffalo. The final score to the game was 58- 87. The seniors who played made 38 out of the total 58 points.

“I have been here for two years now and it has been great. The comradery, pride, and just all the good things that make you want to be a part of the basketball team and organization,” Kennedy said.

The basketball team will host their final home games on Feb. 10 against Cameron University. The women will tip off at 5:30 p.m. and the men at 7:30 p.m.

About the Contributors
Makayla Scheck, Sports Reporter
Makayla Scheck is a sports reporter for The Wichitan. She is a marketing freshman, focusing on sports marketing. She has been involved in sports her whole life and has always loved to write. She wanted to join the newspaper in her high school but her sports schedule conflicted. Coming to Midwestern State University she could...
Rachel Johnson, Photo Journalist
Rachel Johnson is a photographer for The Wichitan. Rachel is in her fourth year in mass communication with a minor in broadcasting. She started getting into photography her freshman year of high school, then took a photojournalism class and a yearbook course where her passion for photography only grew. She has been working for The Wichitan on and...