Tennis teams continue home streak against Metro State

Samuel Sutton

Ramon Toyos, mathematics and psychology senior, returns the ball during a doubles game against Metro State at the MSU Tennis Center. Photo by Rachel Johnson

The men’s and women’s tennis teams both grabbed a win on March 21, continuing their undefeated streak at home. The women’s team came in with a 7-3 record and were ranked 21 in the NCAA, while the men’s team was 6-5 and ranked 15. Both teams have played well at home, and Head Coach Scott Linn said it’s because they play to the home field advantages of these courts.

“Most places we play are more spread out with six courts on each side, while we are more bunched up with four on each side, and we like that,” Linn said. “We have an expectation to win at home, and we train to our advantages at home.”

Another reason for the team’s current success, according to math and psychology senior Ramon Toyos, is good teamwork.

“It’s always a matter of everyone helping each other. Our wins give each other confidence to keep playing hard, and keep fighting,” Toyos said.

He also said that the teams are doing a really good job of keeping opponents from getting free points. On the women’s side, mass communication junior Amy Clifton said the success is due to specific practice and better attack.

“We go into practice, both in singles and doubles, and work on specific drills. We’ve been doing a great job of taking those drills and putting them into action during games,” Clifton said. “We also have been doing a better job of attacking the ball.”

While they have been playing well, there are still some things that they need to work on, according to players and coaches. Linn said the key thing they need to improve on is keeping up the energy. Clifton agreed, but added that they are working hard in practice to improve that.

“In practice, we primarily work on energy, positivity and focus. This helps us work well as a team,” Clifton said.

These teams have been doing well this season, and Linn said they are pretty young compared to last season.

“We had a lot of strong seniors last year, who worked really hard, and they helped become quarterfinalists, but this team is young. They’re still learning,” Linn said.

The men’s team improved to 7-5, while the women’s team moved up to 8-3. Both teams will head to Shawnee, Oklahoma on March 25 to take on Oklahoma Baptist at 10 a.m. and Newman (Kansas) at 3 p.m.

tennis_metro_032117

Chris Norrie, general business senior, returns the ball to the other side during a doubles game against Metro State at the MSU Tennis Center. Photo by Rachel Johnson
Greta Lazzarotto, management sophomore, returns the ball to the other side during a doubles game against Metro State at the MSU Tennis Center. Photo by Rachel Johnson
Denney Norrie, business freshman, returns the ball to the other side during a doubles game against Metro State at the MSU Tennis Center. Photo by Rachel Johnson
Ashley Ramirez, marketing freshman, serves the ball to the other side during a doubles game against Metro State at the MSU Tennis Center. Photo by Rachel Johnson
Ramon Toyos, mathematics and psychology senior, returns the ball to the other side during a doubles game against Metro State at the MSU Tennis Center. Photo by Rachel Johnson
Dylan Hall, mass communication sophomore, reaches for the ball to the other side during a doubles game against Metro State at the MSU Tennis Center. Photo by Rachel Johnson
Bianca Duff, psychology freshman, returns the ball to the other side during a doubles game against Metro State at the MSU Tennis Center. Photo by Rachel Johnson
Dillon Pineda, biology sophomore, returns the ball to the other side during a doubles game against Metro State at the MSU Tennis Center. Photo by Rachel Johnson
Angel Palacios, business management freshman, serves the ball to the other side during a doubles game against Metro State at the MSU Tennis Center. Photo by Rachel Johnson
Eirini Kontaki, exercise physiology sophomore, serves the ball to the other side during a doubles game against Metro State at the MSU Tennis Center. Photo by Rachel Johnson
Daria Panferova, mass communication junior, returns the ball to the other side during a doubles game against Metro State at the MSU Tennis Center. Photo by Rachel Johnson

About the Photographer
Rachel Johnson, Photo Journalist
Rachel Johnson is a photographer for The Wichitan. Rachel is in her fourth year in mass communication with a minor in broadcasting. She started getting into photography her freshman year of high school, then took a photojournalism class and a yearbook course where her passion for photography only grew. She has been working for The Wichitan on and...