Rock sale (English)

Colin Stevenson

Students peruse the various rocks on sale, April 12.

The Geoscience Club held a rock sale where it offered a variety of minerals, rocks and fossil specimens at the Bolin Science Hall. Geoscience club president James Mora led and coordinated the event. Mora said he was satisfied with the sale, since it is one of the bests this year.

“So far it’s being one of the most successful rock sales we’ve had in this spring semester,” Mora said.

The Geoscience Club raffles a piece made of a polished stone, April 12. The rock sale helped the Geoscience Club fund their outings and other club events.
The Geoscience Club raffles a piece made of a polished stone, April 12. The rock sale helped the Geoscience Club fund their outings and other club events. (Colin Stevenson)

The general objective of the rock sales is to generate a financial income to finance the club and maintain a stable budget for their outings, field investigations and various other club events.The oldest samples for sale have been collected over several years by multiple students on their field trips. The club has acquired other materials through donations and purchased some at rock and mineral conventions.

Within the material available for sale, large ammonite fossils were available and the club
president expressed his fascination with these.

Geosciences associate professor Andrew Katumwehe checks out what the Geoscience Club has for sale, April 12.
Geosciences associate professor Andrew Katumwehe checks out what the Geoscience Club has for sale, April 12. (Colin Stevenson)

“These are an extinct cephalopod species, hence they are related to squids and octopus. I find them really fascinating because their fossils are found here, in Texas, where there’s no longer an ocean, so it’s very nice to look to the past of the marine life without even having this water form” Mora said.

Turnout and proceeds from the event enable the club’s members to have more field trips near the Wichita mountains in Oklahoma, where club members will continue studying the region’s geology.

The Geoscience Club offers numerous rocks, varying in size, look and price, April 12.
The Geoscience Club offers numerous rocks, varying in size, look and price, April 12. (Colin Stevenson)