The Opening of the Bridwell Activity Center and the Cannedy Greek Commons

Colin Stevenson

Donors and head MSU staff cut the ribbon to signify the opening of the Bridwell Activities Center, Oct. 28.

On Friday, Oct. 28, 2022, the Bridwell Activity Center had its official opening and dedication as part of Midwestern State University’s Homecoming events. Named after the J.S. Bridwell Foundation, the Bridwell Activity Center serves as a new addition to the Clark Student Center as another vibrant space for student life. Present at the opening was JuliAnn Mazachek, president of MSU Texas, various donors, staff, faculty, alumni, students and Wichita Falls community members, all present to celebrate what the BAC means for the future of student life.

“Several years ago, when Midwestern State started a master planning process, it was identified early that the institution wanted to move facilities to the periphery of campus which brought about the issue of what to do with the now vacant Daniel Building. Immediately, we decided that we wanted it to become a new student life space because the Clark Student Center is too small for our ever-growing student body and we couldn’t add onto it but most importantly, we wanted a space that complimented the CSC and provided more space for students to gather and study, hold meetings, do activities or even just have lunch.” Keith Lamb, vice president of student affairs, said.

Student affairs vice president Keith Lamb welcomes guests to the BAC's opening, Oct. 28.
Student affairs vice president Keith Lamb welcomes guests to the BAC’s opening, Oct. 28. (Colin Stevenson)

The Bridwell Activity Center serves as a new on-campus student life building focused solely on promoting student involvement and general life at MSU. The new activity center is home to three new meeting rooms, a coffee and tea shop, lounge areas, a new student commons area, new offices for organizations that foster student involvement and private Greek chapter rooms and common areas. The Bridwell Activity Center is an example of MSU’s dedication to its core values and its lasting promise to its students.

“This is truly the only building at MSU that has been built with the purpose of strictly student involvement. Anything that you want to get involved in like SGA, Greek Life, and so on are here. The Office of Student Leadership and Involvement is here. It is a building just for getting involved on campus but it’s also just a building that students can come and hang out at the coffee shop or study at the new common area all while fostering that idea of family that Midwestern State University is so very proud of. When you walk through the doors and see the students having lunch or studying together or utilizing the meeting room for their various organizations, you can see the community and family being fostered.” Zetta Cannedy, political science and global studies senior and SGA vice president of external affairs, said.

SGA vice president of external affairs Zetta Cannedy talks to the audience at the BAC opening, Oct. 28. Cannedy has her new office in the building, along with the rest of SGA.
SGA vice president of external affairs Zetta Cannedy talks to the audience at the BAC opening, Oct. 28. Cannedy has her new office in the building, along with the rest of SGA. (Colin Stevenson)

Reconstructed from the former Daniel Building, the Bridwell Activity Center began its initial stages of renovation on Sept. 1, 2020, during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. Due to the pandemic and other construction and facilities related issues, development on the building was delayed and postponed on several occasions. Regardless of the pandemic and all other issues, the first phase of the Bridwell Activity Center was completed with the groundwork for the second phase already being set.

“The pandemic was the biggest problem we had to face during the construction of the BAC as it slowed down deliveries of certain core items which forced us to postpone or push the development of the BAC back. We also faced other construction issues like sewage problems, labor issues and so on which we had to face but after we overcame those issues it was smooth sailing.” Kyle Owens, associate vice president for facilities services, said. “Although the building is now open to the public, there is still more work to be done. We finished the first phase, but we still have the second phase to deal with.”

As part of the Bridwell Activity Center, the Cannedy Greek Commons was also opened. Named after Mac and Connie Cannedy, the Cannedy Greek Commons are rooms designated to sororities to build and foster their sisterhood and build a family. Greek Life is a big part of MSU, and the addition of the Cannedy Greek Commons will help further Greek on campus.

To mark it's opening, donors and MSU staff cut the ribbon to the Cannedy Greek Commons, Oct. 28.
To mark it’s opening, donors and MSU staff cut the ribbon to the Cannedy Greek Commons, Oct. 28. (Colin Stevenson)

“I hope in the future that the BAC will have more rooms for Greek life, but I can say that the BAC is a much-needed step forward for the longevity and prosperity of all Greek organizations at MSU.” Mason Metcalf, biology junior and interfraternal council president, said

Even before the opening of the Bridwell Activity Center, students have loved the idea and innovation behind it. Since its unofficial opening in September, it has been heavily utilized by the student body. From the constant morning crowd at the coffee place to the overwhelming number of students studying in the commons area in the afternoon, the Bridwell Activity Center is truly living up to its potential and is quickly becoming a home for students. 

“The Bridwell Activity Center is a really good representation of the power of student organization and their influence at Midwestern State. This building shows the tremendous progress the university has made in supporting our students and organizations. Through that progress I am very excited to see the future of the building and how it impacts the student body moving forward.” Gabriella Pettijohn, economics senior and student body president, said.