April Showers Bring Drag Hours

Colin Stevenson

Genevieve Addams gives a lapdance to an audience member while continuing to lipsync to music, April 8.

MSU community members gathered in the Burns Chapel on Friday, April 8, to watch a drag show hosted by PRIDE. LGBTQ+ flags draped over stained glass windows and a rainbow backdrop was placed in the corner of the room for anyone that might want to take pictures. The event was scheduled to start at 8:00 p.m. but due to some technical difficulties, was delayed. Although, the vibrant crowd made it clear that the show would go on one way or another. Five drag queens, Tiffany Addams, Genevieve Addams, Rose-Ann Thorns, Bettie Page Bangs and Ari Ari Axenfree all hit the stage with unique signature looks.

Creg Gregg, vice president of PRIDE, said that the organization spent about three weeks preparing for the event. Gregg also said that events like this one are necessary to have on campus because it is important for people to be proud of who they are.

“To show that having pride is nothing to be ashamed of, being who you are is nothing to be ashamed of. No matter what, we’re not going to go away. We can’t be outlawed, we can’t be hated and we can’t be punished for being who we are. We’re always going to exist and we’ve always existed,” Gregg said.

The setting for the drag show, Burns Chapel, was quite a unique one. Some jokes of the evening included lights falling on performers and lightning striking drag queens. It may seem as though Burns Chapel was chosen out of spite but Gregg said that wasn’t the case at all.

“I think it just worked out this way,” Gregg said.

Genevieve Addams, drag queen, said taking the stage makes her feel motivated. She also said she wants her audience to know that they can do whatever they want in terms of following their dreams.

“No matter who you are, no matter what gender, no matter what sexuality or just in general, what type of person you are, if you want to feel pretty you can make yourself look pretty. If you want to do comedy you can do comedy. Whatever you want to do in life, and if you want to perform and be able to be out there (the stage), just start doing something. Start listening to music and start lip-syncing or just start recording a video, doing a TikTok nowadays. Just get out there and have fun,” Addams said.

Genevieve Addams accepts a tip down the front of her dress during her performance, April 8.
Genevieve Addams accepts a tip down the front of her dress during her performance, April 8. (Colin Stevenson)

Kennedy Baker, biology sophomore, said her birthday was the day after the drag show. Attending the event was a way to celebrate her special day with her friends. When veteran drag queen, Tiffany Addams, asked the crowd if there were any birthdays in the house, Baker just so happened to be the only one. Addams then asked Baker to come on stage so the crowd could sing her “happy birthday.”

“I knew I was going to enjoy [the drag show] and I enjoyed it more than I could have ever imagined,” Baker said.

Biology sophomore Kennedy Baker celebrates her birthday after Tiffany Addams asks if there are any birtdays in the house, April 8.
Biology sophomore Kennedy Baker celebrates her birthday after Tiffany Addams asks if there are any birtdays in the house, April 8. (Colin Stevenson)

The drag show served as a homecoming of sorts for one individual. Eliza Cameron, MSU alumni, graduated in May of 2021. Cameron said that attending events on campus such as the drag show reminds her of her days as a student.

“I love being here. I love coming to these events. It kind of feels like coming home in a way because I did go to school here once and I was part of the PRIDE organization for the entirety of my college career. I love getting together with like minds, people in the community and just, you know, having a good time,” Cameron said.