GO STATE! Everything MSU Has Given Kassidy Knight

Colin Stevenson

Accounting senior Kassidy Knight is held up by cheerleaders kinesiology senior DanLee Duncan, mechanical engineering junior Robert Hollingsworth and nursing senior Ashleigh Miller as they all stand in front of the bonfire, Oct. 29.

Kassidy Knight spent all four years of her college career here at MSU. A Wichita Falls native, Knight said that she always had her mind set on attending Midwestern.

“From a young age, I knew I was going to go to MSU. Since I’m from here, it’s so close to home and I liked the feeling and having the option to go home whenever I needed or wanted to. I also wanted to make the cheer team, which I did. That’s honestly what did it for me, I didn’t really have any other schools I wanted to attend,” Knight said. “I love everything about MSU and Wichita Falls. The falls is the perfect size to me. It’s not too big. It’s not too small.”

When Knight first came to MSU, her major was undecided. However, after taking a business class then accounting…she knew what she wanted to study.

“I was undecided coming in as a freshman, then I took business and honestly fell in love with it and then I took an accounting and class and that’s how it all started…now I just need to get ready for the Certified Public Accountant Exam. Even though I’ll get my degree and can work in accounting, having the CPA certification will open more doors and job opportunities for me,” Knight said.

Knight was a flyer for the MSU Cheer Team her first three years of college. She is thankful for everything MSU Cheer gave her.

“I started cheering when I was seven, then moved on to doing competitive cheer in 8th grade until my senior year of high school. I wanted to cheer at MSU because I felt like I could make the team. Collin Stokes, the head coach of MSU Cheer, had also been my coach for the past five years…prior to me joining the MSU Cheer team. It was comforting because she was the only person I knew…I didn’t know anybody else. I understood and knew her rules and expectations, and I executed them,” Knight said.

Being on the cheer team brought Knight her best friend, Ashleigh Miller. The two have been friends since freshman year and their friendship has grown and flourished throughout their time here.

“She has always been there for me, I can depend on her and overall, she’s just like a sister to me. If I ever need anything, I know who to call. It started with us being on the cheer team, then when I moved on campus because of that scholarship, we were roommates. We just really connected, we are literally inseparable,” Knight said.

Nursing senior, Ashleigh Miller, says she remembers when her and Knight first became friends. It all started on a bus ride to New Mexico.

Accounting senior Kassidy Knight poses with nursing senior and fellow cheerleader Ashleigh Miller. Photo courtesy of Kassidy Knight.

“I met Kass my freshman year, we were both on the cheer team and after sitting by each other on a bus ride for a football game in New Mexico, we became good friends. Kass is very outgoing, spontaneous, and an adventure-seeking type of person. We’ve gone gone through a lot together: from dorm life to apartment floods and even break ins…Disney trips, road trips to Tennessee and just about everything else. After four years of knowing her, I can easily say that she is my absolute best friend,” Miller said.

Knight stepped down from the cheer team for her last year of college to focus more on school and her next steps.

“My favorite memory of being on the cheer team was definitely nationals. You spend so much time with your teammates from practicing multiple times a day and then traveling together that they become family. And despite all the hours put in and giving it your all…it’s absolutely worth it,” Knight said.

One of Knight’s favorite events at MSU is homecoming. She recalled all the memorable traditions she participated in.

“My freshman year I was on the boat racing committee, we didn’t win but it was fun. Senior year, I just liked attending and enjoying all the events. The torch light parade probably had to be my favorite one this year. It was fun to be a part of and actually hold a torch. As a cheerleader, you’re on stage 100% of the time, and don’t get to enjoy it as everyone else does. So just being able to be a part of the crowd and soak it all in was a nice experience,” Knight said.

After stepping away from cheer, Knight found free time to pursue her other goals. She used it to join the student government association and is now a committee chair.

“I wanted to focus more on school and what I want to do next. Doing so has given me more free time to be involved in school, attend events and meet new people. I actually joined SGA and am the student leadership fund committee chair. I decide which organizations receive money that have applied. I definitely feel more involved in school,” Knight said.

Knight lived at home her first two years at MSU until she got the Young foundation scholarship. The scholarship paid for her remaining  time at Midwestern, prompting Knight to move on campus.

“Basically…my sophomore year, I received an email stating I was a potential candidate for this scholarship. I had sent back an email saying I was interested, then made it into the top five…the donors choose to give two students a full ride scholarship each year. It’s a one and done so you don’t have to re-apply each year to receive it, you’re set the rest of your undergrad years. This summer I get to go on Study Abroad, it’s a part of the scholarship and I’m really looking forward to it,” Knight said.

Knight’s dream job is to be the CEO of Disney. She expressed her admiration for the company and its founder.

“I love Disney. I’ve learned a lot of Walt Disney, himself, and how he went about and making Disney into the massive company it is today. I admire the amount of imagination he had and how he was able to put it all together. I am a big Disney adult…I want a Disney themed wedding at Disney world…I want to be a princess,” Knight said.

Knight expressed her love for Midwestern. Even her signature phrase comes from her adoration of the university.

“I love the campus…basically, I just love everything about MSU, Dillard is great…that’s where I spend most of my time. I even have this saying of, “Go State” one day I just said it and liked it…of course it came from cheer but I’ve just stuck with it ever since. If you ever see me on campus, say “Go State,” Knight said.

Accounting senior Kassidy Knight says she wanted to attend MSU since she was young. “I love everything about MSU and Wichita Falls. The falls is the perfect size to me. It’s not too big, it’s not too small." Photo courtesy of Kassidy Knight.
Accounting senior Kassidy Knight says she wanted to attend MSU since she was young. “I love everything about MSU and Wichita Falls. The falls is the perfect size to me. It’s not too big, it’s not too small.” Photo courtesy of Kassidy Knight.