Our view: How to manage conflict

Working and interacting with others is an integral and undeniable part of college life. Whether it is disagreeing with members on group projects, fighting with a roommate or resolving grades disputes with professors, every student will have to deal with conflict at some point in their collegiate career. If dealt with incorrectly, conflicts can snowball and bring stress and anxiety to what is already a stressful semester. Here are a few tips on how to avoid and resolve conflict.

Be empathetic

During times of high stress, it can be hard to remember that most of the other students around you are dealing with similar amounts of turmoil in their personal lives. Acknowledge that others may not have the same priorities as you.

Know your worth

While it’s important to be empathetic and understanding of other people’s situations, It’s okay to tell people “No”. If they react negatively to you not wanting to be treated poorly or manipulated, it might be time for them to play a lesser role in your life.

Speak your mind

If you have a problem with how someone is acting, tell them. It can be incredibly uncomfortable to confront someone, but it can also prevent more uncomfortable situations in the future.

Know when to walk away

If you have empathized with someone, refused to be taken advantage of, spoken your mind and the situation hasn’t improved, it’s probably time to walk away from that situation or person. There’s nothing wrong with cutting unhealthy people out of your life.