Our view: Power through the post-COVID fatigue

With six weeks of school remaining, students are faced with the annual end-of-semester dredge brought upon by fatigue, overwork and apathy as a result of the responsibilities of student life. This year, some students have noticed increased dreariness as a result of being in a world post the height of COVID-19. The isolation and solitude brought upon by quarantining and social distancing seems to have had lasting effects on mental health, particularly those that are traditionally college-aged.

With these feelings setting in, some students might feel like giving up or dropping their classes despite the fact that the semester is nearing a close. It’s important to take this time to visualize the finish line at the end of the race. Ultimately these feelings of doubt and apathy will most likely fade over time, but a degree will last a lifetime.

That doesn’t mean mental health isn’t important. Visit the counseling center, talk to a trusted friend or family member, do something fun one night a week or take a mini-vacation one weekend that is not swamped with homework. Also, get homework, essays and other assignments done in advance to avoid those late nights spent up to 11:59 p.m. that make the day after unbearable. A concise schedule can also help prevent forgotten quizzes and online assignments.

Despite the poor mental state, the coronavirus has left many college students in, the key is to continue to persist through the semester. Remember, the joyous, exam-less, Christmas-filled winter break is almost upon us.