Lipsync Competition brings a burst of energy

Diamond Gamboa

Chi Omega and Kappa Sigma perform together at the Lipsync Competition, Oct. 25.

Homecoming Celebrations at Midwestern State continued with the annual Lipsync Battle at the D. Ligon Coliseum on Oct. 27th with, MSU Texas Cheer, Alpha Psi Omega, and Sigma Nu and Gamma Phi Beta emerging as finalists (in no particular order). This was MSU’s first Lipsync competition since 2019, and school spirit flooded the coliseum just as students, alumni and faculty alike packed the stands to cheer, dance to recent hits, support the performers and enjoy the homecoming fun! 

“Coming back from not being able to do Lipsync in 2020, this was a great opportunity for students,  especially those that didn’t get to enjoy homecoming last year. First year students got to have fun as  well,” Mario Ramirez, director of Student Leadership and Involvement said. “It went really well, we had  about 450-500 students, so it was a pretty good crowd as expected. The performances were great and  they really stepped it up.”

The Baptist Student Ministry perorms a variety of songs in the guise of a radio show at the Lipsync Competition.
The Baptist Student Ministry perorms a variety of songs in the guise of a radio show at the Lipsync Competition, Oct. 25. (Diamond Gamboa)

Due to the effects of Covid-19 on campus activities last year, homecoming celebrations were limited.  Students who weren’t able to partake in the lip-sync competition were happy to be back on stage and in  the stands. For others, it was their first time ever experiencing the tradition. 

“I enjoyed it. I just did not expect so many people to be there. I’ve never done it before so it was a little  nerve-wracking but it was fun, I really enjoyed it and it’s been a great experience. We’ve been working on this for weeks straight.” Conner Dwyer, nursing sophomore, said after performing with Sigma Nu and Gamma Phi Beta on stage. 

Nursing sophomore Conner Dwyer performs with Gamma Phi Beta and Sigma Nu in the Lipsync Competition.
Nursing sophomore Conner Dwyer performs with Gamma Phi Beta and Sigma Nu in the Lipsync Competition, Oct. 25. (Colin Stevenson)

Students came out in their numbers to show love and support their peers partaking in the battle. Their enjoyment of the music, choreography and drama unfolding onstage was evident as their loud cheers  and whoops echoed across the Ligon Dome, adding to event’s thrilling ambience. 

Alpha Phi and Tau Kappa Epsilon perform together in the Lipsync competition.
Alpha Phi and Tau Kappa Epsilon perform together in the Lipsync competition, Oct. 25. (Diamond Gamboa)

“This was awesome! There was a lot of crowd interaction, and I was just super glad that everybody was  so hype. A lot of my friends are in Chi Omega and Kappa Sig and I just wanted to support, you know? Gotta be my girlfriends’ biggest fan!” Jenna Thornton, biology freshman said after her Chi Omega and Kappa Sigma’s performance. “I loved it and I definitely think Chi Omega was the best, but the MSU Cheer team did really well too, so it’s gonna be a close one.”

The organization didn’t make the top three as expected by many, so Chi Omega and their supporters were evidently disappointed going home. Ramirez emphasized, however, that the organizations all did extremely well and expressed genuine pride in all of their performances, whether they made the top three or not. Zetta Cannedy, Homecoming MC agreed. 

“I think that Lipsync went so good, especially coming out of Covid, for this to be the revival Homecoming of MSU Texas was so awesome. These groups went all in. I loved their energy, their passion, and the fact  that they came out to do this with such high energy, ’cause it can be a little scary to perform in front of a crowd like that, but all of these groups were poppin’!” Cannedy said. “They did so good and I was so impressed cause I was not expecting that, but I loved every minute of it. This is such a great Homecoming tradition.”