Women’s golf returns to the fields

Thalia Doe, Sports Editor

Golf returned to the fields on Tuesday, Sept. 7 at the DBU Women’s Invitational and just wrapped up the DBU Classic tournament that took place on Monday, Sept. 20 to Tuesday, Sept 21. Mason Garrett, sports and leisure sophomore, says that even though she is excited to return this season, there are still challenges to go through.

“I was super excited about returning this year to more of a ‘normal’ season. There’s still challenges to work through with COVID-19, but there’s nothing better than getting back out on the course and being able to compete with my teammates in the best conference in the country… coming back this fall after my first year and through the summer I think I’ve been able to grow quite a bit as an athlete, physically and mentally. Physically I was able to take the time to get my swing where I needed it to be for the season this year as well as mentally prepare knowing what is expected out of me in getting my job done on the team in competition,” Garrett said.

Garrett said that her team has her excited for the year, especially since injuries made it difficult for that feeling to be in the environment in the season prior.

“My team has me excited for the year with our competitiveness. With COVID and injuries last year, I think that aspect was missing at times. After a year of getting my feet wet, I’m ready to dive in and continue to put my best golf on the table. My goals for the season is to improve myself day by day on the course and give myself opportunities to be at the top of the leaderboard in every tournament. I think it’s safe to say people will see that eagerness and drive from not only me, but our team this year,” Garrett said.

Beatrice Perucchini, psychology sophomore, said that tournaments are basically back to normal and that she feels the team can finally enjoy and play golf before any pre-COVID-19 regulations were emplaced.

“It honestly feels great…we can finally enjoy golf as we were used to before anything happened. This summer I worked with a mental coach that helped me a lot with my mental game and I feel I grew up a lot in that way,” Perucchini said.

Perucchini said that she is looking forward to being back on the field and is hoping the team can win some tournaments this year.

“We have three new freshmen on the team, and they are really good…I would say the goal for this year is just to play the best that we can and hopefully win some tournaments,” Perucchini said.

The next tournament to take place for golf will be on Monday, Oct. 11 and Tuesday, Oct. 12 in Lawton Oklahoma, at the Country Club for the Oklahoma Intercollegiate.