Volunteering benefits students and the community

OUR VIEW: The Wichitan staff believes the university has done a great job at providing volunteer opportunities for students. Volunteering builds character and a willingness to help others in students.

Maverick’s Day of Service is an annual event for students, faculty and staff to help local non-profit organizations. This year, 28 non-profit organizations including Wichita Falls Food Bank, Leadership Wichita Falls and Meals on Wheels participated in the day of service.

200 students, faculty and community members took time to help out these organizations.

The volunteering on campus has shifted from who is helping to who is being helped. After all the years of going out and giving time to others, the community looks to the university for a helping hand. They reach out to the campus and ask for volunteers. 

This provides more than 50 volunteer opportunities to students by the campus each semester. With this opportunity, students are able to stay active within the community and build their character.

It takes a good person with a warm heart to take time out of their day to help others and we think that Volunteer MSU and Student Leadership & Involvement has done a tremendous job of gathering and volunteer opportunities for students.