A day in the life of Alonzo Burris:

Joggling work school and being a leader

Alonzo

Bridget Reilly

Omega Delta Phi members show off their step routine at Mustang Madness, Oct 25. Photo by Bridget Reilly

With graduation slowly approaching Uncle Zo has a jam-packed schedule as his days in Wichita Falls are coming to an end. Alonzo Burris, exercise physiology senior has a lot on his plate as he is finishing off his final semester.

“After I graduate it’s going to be weird because my schedule won’t be as hectic and won’t have anything to do besides going to work,” Burris said.

Alonzo
Syreeta Green
Alonzo Burris at the NASPA conference in Los Angeles. March 10. Photo by Syreeta Green

Burris has two on-campus jobs, the Office of Student Transitions Services and the Office of Equity, Inclusion, and Multicultural Affairs. There are days where Burris has to work both jobs on top of classes and meetings for his different organizations.

“I work in the EIMA office and I am on the executive board of NAACP with Zo. He juggles a lot at a time, but manages to keep his grades up and stays so involved on campus,” Jamilah Kangudja, exercise physiology junior said.

Burris is the president of the student chapter of National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. He has a meeting for the NAACP every Monday whether it is an executive meeting or a general meeting.

“The NAACP is an organization that focuses on being an ally for students and making sure that when things happen on campus that is terrible or handled poorly, we will say something. I’m in the NAACP because we need leaders on this campus who don’t mind getting their hands dirty plus not a lot of men are involved, and we need that more, especially in the coming years,” Burris said.

Every other Monday, the EIMA office members hold a meeting called Barbershop talks that Burris leads.

Burris may lead the Barbershop Talks meetings, but he uses them as a stress reliever. Burris said having talks with other male students and male barbers from the community helps him a lot. If he is going through something, he knows Barbershop Talks is where he can ease his mind.

Every Thursday night, his fraternity, Omega Delta Phi has a meeting.

“Although I am about to graduate, I still attend every meeting to provide support and guidance to my bros,” Burris said.

Burris’ actions on campus have inspired those around him like Michael Gonzales, criminal justice junior and a member of ODPhi.

Gonzales said, “I look up to Zo. He has always been so involved on campus.”

Burris held the position of Head Orientation Leader for the past two summers. He met the incoming students and his big personality left an impression on the students until they were back that fall.

Zyon Jones, business management freshman, said, “I first met Zo at orientation. I noticed that he was the only black male Orientation Leader, so I knew he was doing something right.”

Since orientation, Jones and Burris have kept a tight friendship as Jones has noticed the effort and time Burris has put into this campus.

“It is good to see Zo being involved on campus since I am a freshman, when I first got here he was the only representation that I saw,” Jones said.

Besides the work Burris does on campus, he also takes time out of his schedule to volunteer with the youth of the community. He volunteers at the Boys and Girls Club sometimes, but he mainly volunteers at Young Knights. At Young Knights, he gives lessons on either hygiene, bullying, teamwork or helps them with their homework. After the lessons, he has free play for the children.

“It’s important to give back to the community. We got to continue the cycle process. It means nothing if you don’t bring up those with you,” Burris said.

On the weekend Burris likes to chill at home playing his Play Station 4 or go to the Wellness Center to play basketball or lift weights.

Burris said he is an only child and since he is around a lot of people during the week, on the weekend he looks forward to the time to himself. He looks at it as “me-time.”