Gamma Phi Beta Moonball tournament March 30

Gamma Phi Bets’s Philanthropy Chairman, radiology sophomore, Summer Greer starts to prepare for the upcoming Moonball tournament.

Out of the four sororities on campus, the women of the Gamma Phi Beta Sorority race to began posting flyers around campus for their upcoming Moonball tournament on March 30.

President of Gamma Phi Beta, Leah Gilliland, marketing senior said, “Moonball is our annual philanthropy event. We do a volleyball tournament where teams from on and off campus compete. We also give winning baskets for the top winners of the tournament.”The money raised will be benefiting the Girls on the Run organization.

Summer Greer, radiology sophomore, said, “All of the money we raise from Moonball goes directly toward Girls on the run, nothing goes to the sorority. Our philanthropy’s goal is to raise more than $2,500 by the end of March.”

Members of Gamma Phi Beta are determined to have multiple teams of students participate in the tournament.

Greer said, “When taking on the responsibility of this job, I had honestly no idea what to do. Since I am a new member of Gamma Phi Beta, I had no prior knowledge or experience with this event. So planning this with confidence is very hard to do, but the more that I accomplished every day the more I learned to love my title as philanthropy chairwoman.”

This is Gamma Phi Beta’s third time organizing the Moonball tournament. Gamma Phi Beta also does multiple events in both the fall and spring semesters that encourage strong character in the girls apart of Girls on the Run and the surrounding community.

“Having worked at an actual Girls on the Run race, to me I believe that Girls on the Run represents confidence of girls of all ages. The race and working with the girls was very inspirational and empowering to me. We like to have a lot of fun and I can’t wait to volunteer and help out with another race with the Girls on the Run,” said Scydayah Quest, sociology senior.

Gamma Phi Beta was founded in 1874, and express the ideals that the founders worked to achieve: love, labor, learning, and loyalty.

Quest said, “As a sorority all together we donate a various amount of time helping out Girls on the Run. Also, any money that we collect throughout the year such as our donut sale in the fall, goes to the organization. We participate in writing inspirational letters that hopefully cheer up the girls in the organization.”