Security fee has pros and cons

Our view: The Wichitan staff believe that getting rid of the parking decals and replacing it with a security fee has pros and cons.

Due to a new parking fee arrangement presented at the Student Government Association meeting by Vice President of Student Affairs Keith Lamb and Interim Vice President for Administration and Finance Valarie Maxwell Feb. 4, parking fees may be changed into security fees.

This proposal was approved by SGA, but will be presented to the Board of Regents this month. If finalized, it could be put into affect in September 2019.

With the removal of the parking fees and decals parking will turn into a free-for-all. This could be a good thing for commuters and campus living students alike.

Campus living students have some parking advantages when it comes to the parking lot behind Prothro-Yeager. Opening this parking to commuters will allow them to have closer parking that they don’t usually have. Campus living students would also be able to park in commuter parking when necessary, making it easier than running across campus when running late.

While driving students have been paying a parking fee and were expecting it to continue increasing. This means non-driving students fees will increase.

The security fee will make it a set cost of $50 per long term semester and $25 per summer semester.

CORRECTIONS: In a previous version of this editorial we spelled Valarie Maxwell’s name incorrectly. The Wichitan regrets this error.

CORRECTIONS: In a previous version of this story we said that the parking fee change was proposed by Vice President of Student Affairs Keith Lamb, that was incorrect The Wichitan regrets this error.