Students share ideas for Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day is a time for love and being with that special someone in your life. It’s a night that starts with flowers followed by candle-lit dinners, romantic movies, slow dances to live music, and cuddling on the couch. It’s a chance to create a memory that will last forever, to be passed on for generations.

Students around campus are sharing their plans and giving other students ideas. Valentine dates range in prices high to low. Students don’t have the same preferences when it comes to how they spend their Valentine’s Day but Wichita Falls offers a variation of places that meet exactly what they want.

($$$) For a more luxurious dinner head to The Karat Bar and Bistro. Where they are known for their locally sourced dishes that are handmade from scratch, as well as classic prohibition style cocktails, and an international wine list. For Valentine’s Day they are hosting a dinner that cost $68.50 for each person. The menu consists of four courses:

• Cheese Trio: baked brie tartlet, goat cheese croquette, and blue cheese honeyed phyllo
  • Soup and Salad: parmesan crab bisque with sweet kale and pomegranate citrus salad
  • Surf and Turf: 6oz filet with your choice of surf: lump blue crab with a béarnaise sauce or brown butter roasted jumbo prawns
  • Sweets for your Sweetheart: flourless chocolate cake filled with ganache and topped with chocolate

It is a great place for students to have a more formal date. The layout will allow them to enjoy their meal in a romantic setting. Students that are interested in this Valentine’s Day dinner have to call and make a reservation.

($$$) Pelicans offers a variety of topnotch steaks, fresh fish and other seafood. With dimmed lights, the setting is romantic and allows guest to enjoy some one-on-one time with their significant other.

“Pelicans is definitely a great place for a date. It’s dark inside but very romantic,” said Maddy Schiek, education sophomore.

($$$-$$) Another great place is further away from campus but has a similar vibe. Located downtown, The Highlander Public House offers a bridge between their proud Texas heritage and the great pubs of the United Kingdom.

Environmental science senior Rachel Morgan said, “It’s cozy and warm like a steakhouse vibe but the food is more modern and unique. It feels like a fancy date night without being overpriced.” 

($$) Another downtown gem, The 8th Street Coffee House is offering a spaghetti dinner only $30 a couple. The dinner price includes all the food and drinks, along with live music by James and Stacie Cook. This coffee house has a very cozy, warm, home like feel, and the live music will add a touch of romance. This is perfect for the students that enjoy being out of the house but still want that cozy feel. 

($$) The Wichita Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau is hosting a Valentine’s day celebration. It starts with dinner at Stage 2 at 6:30 p.m. After dinner,  students can walk across the street to the historic Wichita Theatre to watch Sleepless in Seattle starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan on the screen at 8:15 p.m. It costs $33 per person for dinner and a movie. If students are interested you have to make reservations in advance.

There will be a special menu for this event:

• Duck Confit (Duck quarters braised in duck fat)
  • Red Barn Braised Chuck Steak
  • Napa Mushroom Ragu
  • Carrot Celeriac Puree
  • Red Velvet Cake

“The perfect Valentine’s date to me is dinner and a movie, so this is something I would really love,” said Marissa Lopez, exercise physiology junior. 

($$) For students 21 and older, Half Pint Taproom is a local bar featuring craft beer, cocktails, wine on tap, and authentic brick oven pizza. The atmosphere is unlike any other bar in town. Students can see their pizza being made, and they have servers that wait on them throughout their visit. The bar even offers fire pit seating outside.

Alum Selena Mize said, “Their food and craft beer is amazing. Currently my favorites are the Texas heat pizza and the Texas mule cocktail. I like to go there because it’s different from any other place in Wichita, and it makes you feel like you’re in another town.”

($) Going out to dinner isn’t what every student has planned. Emily Stubblefield, sophomore pre-veterinary biology, will be spending her Valentine’s Day at home. She plans on going to Walmart, grocery shopping and cooking at home. This is a great idea for the students that would rather stay home. 

“My boyfriend and I will be making dinner together because I think it’s really romantic,” said Stubblefield. 

($) Market Street is another place in town that students can go grocery shopping at. They also have a food court area, that has hot food for students that want homemade food without having to make it. At the salad bar students can build their own salad, or they can go to the sushi bar and pick up their choice of sushi. Starting Feb. 13 through the 19, sushi will be 20 percent off. Market Street offers a large variety of food at an affordable price. 

Melanie Garcia, exercise physiology junior said, “Market Street’s food is always my go to when I want something fresh and fast. Plus, their sushi is to die for.”

($) Take out and movies at home is what students like Natty Cervantes, business junior, have planned. Chick-fil-A is offering nuggets, cookies and mini sandwiches in a heart-shaped container from now through the end of February, so you can snack on fried chicken all month long. 

($) Another fast and easy meal for students is Qdoba. For the ninth year in a row, the Qdoba For A Kiss promo is back on Feb. 14. Students get a free entree when they purchase an entree and share a kiss with anyone (or anything).