Black History Month begins with Greek life stroll

Students gathering in the Clark Student Center in preparation for the Greek life stroll

Culturally based Greek organizations officially kicked off recruitment week and Black History Month with the jam-boree and stroll event of Feb. 1 in the Clark Student Center Atrium.

Ruby Arriaga, coordinator of student activities, was planning events for Black History Month that happened to overlap with Cultural Greek Council recruitment week. She decided to combine them together to showcase both events which began with a coffee lounge vibe and finished with the sorority dance and stroll.

“The students come to fellowship together and learn about the Cultural Greek Council and finding out more about the organizations,” Arriaga said.

Vice President of Delta Sigma Theta Jada Propes, political science senior, helped put the event together for everyone and is planning other upcoming events in celebration of Black History Month.

“The culturally based organization involved have a rich history behind them and we want to be able to showcase what we do to anyone interested in joining,” Propes said.

After a local singer kicked off the event students began to fellowship with one another in a coffee-house-style setting. After a while, the sororities and fraternities, began to stroll, to chant, and to dance while representing and promoting their organization.

Nursing sophomore Carolina Beltran of Sigma Lambda Alpha was among the people strolling at this event. She said she wanted to be able to display the strong bond of sisterhood and show how they are a tight knit group who support each other while having a good time.

Beltran said, “Since this is part of our recruitment, we are trying to show potential members what we [sororities] are all about and what we do. The dancing, strolling, and seeing all the other sororities and fraternities really makes you feel like you are a part of something.”