Women’s soccer team loses to Eastern New Mexico

Paige Champagne, Reporter

The women’s soccer team lost 1-2 to Eastern New Mexico Sunday at Stang Park. Head Coach Ryan Spence attributes some of the failure to the coaches themselves.

“We didn’t match the intensity,” Spence said, “…at the end of the day this team’s hungry because I left them last year and this is the team I came from so all these girls are angry and they’re playing hard and they outplayed it because they wanted to win more than we did today.”

Both teams had a score of 0 throughout the first half of the game, with special education sophomore Madison Williams being the first to score about 15 minutes into the second half. They were unable to make a comeback as ENMU scored two goals against them before the game ended.

“I think that it takes too long for us to realize that every game is crucial,” said midfielder kinesiology senior Brandy Villasana, “It’s just more of we take too long to start giving it everything that we’ve got.”

Spence addressed this as the issue affecting the team’s performance in the game.

“I always will praise them for their fight at the end of a game. I think they fight hard, but they wait until their back’s up against the wall, and that’s where they’re at right now is that we don’t keep it on them. We score a goal and then we let down,” Spence said.

Villasana said she doesn’t think that the team lived up to their full potential during the game.

“I think that we didn’t do as good as I know that we’re capable of doing,” Villasana said, “I think that we looked a little bit tired out there and there’s no room to show weakness so I mean we did as good as I guess we were able to but it wasn’t good enough.”

While he said he thinks some players are good at being competitive, Spence addressed that they still have room to improve. Villasana also said that she sees room for growth in herself and her team.

“I could improve on my leadership, and I guess the same thing that the whole team needs to improve on–just the fight to want to win every battle.”

The next MSU women’s soccer game is Friday, Oct. 5 against Texas Women’s at 7 p.m. at Stang Park.