Students learn the beauty of creativity and relaxation in art class

Organizer Cynthia Cummings instructs students on how to decorate their pumpkins in a Halloween class in the Kiowa Room on Oct. 12. Photo by Latoya Fondren.

The Kiowa Room is filled with laughter and discussion as students began cutting their beautifully decorated cloths to glue on their choice of orange, pink, and green pumpkins as part of “Halloween Deco Art” on Oct. 12.

“I do the events monthly and its a relaxation class to have fun, that’s the main goal,” said Cynthia Cummings, special events coordinator. “I try to figure out what crafts to use and we buy all of the supply.

Cummings said the cost of the crafts vary depending on the type of art class.

“I try to keep them [cost] to a minimum and utilize the imagination,” Cummings said.

Cummings said she usually plans a month ahead and sometimes creates the classes based on the holidays. She also organizes the events with the input of the department for 60 to 75 students.

“I’ll learn how to do certain arts and crafts and if I’m successful at doing it and I feel that it’s something students would like then I do it,” Cummings said.

During the hour-long class, Cummings had seven different Halloween decorations for students to choose from. She instructed them to pick their favorite cloths and cut the cloths into strips. Once they cut the strips, they used mod podge to place each individual strip on the pumpkin until it was fully covered. From there, they had the option to choose from googly eyes, spiders, and Halloween signs to add to their pumpkins.

Kylie Overbey, mental health graduate, said she enjoyed using the cloth material.

“I chose a cloth that gave my project a ‘grownup look’,” Overbey said. “It can go from looking like a children’s craft to something I can put in my living-room.”

Overybey said this was her first time attending one of the classes and she will attend future events because she likes having a break from her studies.

“Students under stress need opportunities for a therapeutic project because it’s simple and easy to uplift spirits especially with mid-terms being around the corner,” Overybey said.

Yersaly Duran, nursing freshman, said she enjoyed using the mod podge and the cloth because it reminded her of when she was younger.

“It’s something fun to do besides watching tv all day,” Duran said. “You’re really concentrated so you forget that you have so much stuff to do.”

Cummings said she wanted students to learn that their are basic steps when they are creating something and that can always be relaxing.

“If I can give them the supplies and they supply the imagination then I’m teaching them to be creative,” Cummings said.

Isabella Maiorana, psychology freshman, said she liked using the paint because she enjoys mixing colors.

“I can create something and express myself with it,” Maiorana said. “I enjoy creating new things.”

Cummings said art is in her blood and she has a lot of passion for art and colors.

“Follow your heart, that’s where creativity, passion and everything that can fall out from under the paper come out of you and allows you to be the best you can be whether it be art or life in general,” Cummings said.

Upcoming Events:

10/20/2017, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM