Torchlight parade stirs up emotions

torchlight
Bradley Wilson
Students walk down the street during the homecoming torchlight parade and bonfire, Oct. 23, 2014.

The annual homecoming torchlight parade and bonfire to be held Oct. 19 are stirring up a variety of emotions in the community because similar events are used by organizations such as the Ku Klux Klan.

“I’ve been here at MSU for a couple of years now and this event always has some controversy,” Anna Baton, political science sophomore said. “I can understand why some people may see this event as part of the KKK because of people walking down with hoods on and lit torches, but this event brings life at our school.”

The homecoming bonfire has been around since the 1960s and has continued to bring students, faculty and the community together to cheer on the football team.

“This is the probably one of the best events we have at our school because we all come together to have a great time to support our team,” Leanna Royce, biology junior said. “Especially with everything going on right now, this is the time to come together as a community to let loose.”

Although this upcoming event plays a big role in the community, there are many other people who are against the tradition of the homecoming week, many of which see the downfall of the parade.

“How does this event not open up people’s eyes? They can’t see how similar this parade is to the KKK ceremonies? There’s no way I’m attending something like this, but I will support my football team still,” Jasmine Twain, engineering senior said. “I take things like this very seriously because racism is still a problem, in fact, getting worse and this just adds to the list.”

A variety of people have different emotions around this upcoming event, many of which don’t know how to respond. Twain, however, has her mind set on what she believes in.

“I didn’t know this event would be such an issue around campus. I hear so many people talking in the cafe about if they are going or not because of it looking so bad,” Jennifer Lockington, education junior said. “From all of the discussions I’ve heard recently, I don’t even know if I want to go at this point. But, I do feel like I should at least experience something like this since my last school didn’t have anything like this.”

In the 1950s, the homecoming parade was celebrated in the streets of  downtown Wichita Falls, but discontinued after the football program left. However, to bring back the support and activities between the community and students to the school, the event was brought back. Now it is a continuous event to help bring the community together.

“I’ve been living in the Falls my whole life. The torchlight parade and bonfire was what kept our spirits up when we were down because we had so much fun,” Wanda Bowie, MSU alumna said. “Back in my days, my friends and I used to plan our outfits weeks in advance because of how excited we were to attend the school’s event. Now it’s just people worrying about things that don’t need to be thought of during this time. Life is too short.”

Memories are what keeps a town alive and the Falls has a variety on the list, however not all of them are good memories.

“I actually attended one of these events back in the 60s and I’ll remember it like it was yesterday,” Stewart Lindon, Wichita Falls resident, said. “Racism was a big problem in my era. Not many people liked me because of the color of my skin, but that didn’t stop me from trying to go. I remember being pushed, spat on and name-called when I tried to go to the parade. But let’s not forget that not everyone treated me that way because I also had people try to help me when I was getting harassed. I’m sure nowadays, there won’t be an issue as bad, but I’m hoping one day that we can genuinely come together as whole; especially to help support our team.”

Lindon has encountered incidents in the past where racism has put a stop to his leisure activities, yet he still continues to make sure his community stays strong as a whole.

From countless memories and life lessons, this event has brought more of an upside to the community rather than a downside. The community has an opportunity to experience the student life, even if they don’t attend MSU.

“I’m a full-time mom and never had the chance to actually go to college because it’s not easy doing it by yourself. Although I can say that this is a great time to bring the family out to interact with the community and feel like you’re actually part of the school,” Sarah Baken, Wichita Falls resident, said.

Baken understands the controversy between the torchlight parade tradition and the Ku Klux Klan; however, she stays optimistic towards the event. Baken has invited at least 40 of her family and friends to this event to help bring the community together.

The torchlight parade and bonfire is a way for students, faculty, and the community to not only connect with each other, but to connect with the school.

This event will take place on Oct. 19 where students will meet up at the Daniel building to receive a torch at 9 p.m. Then students will walk down Comanche Trail representing the school with lit torches.