Faculty perform percussion for students

Tyler Manning

A dim, quiet theater roars to life with a mighty drum ringing through the open building and all eyes stalk your every move. At 7:30 p.m., Sept. 11, Gordon Hicken along with Andrew J. Allen and Tim Justus, associate professors of music, performed in front of about 30 students in this year’s Faculty Recital for percussion, in Akin Auditorium. Hicken played seven songs all performed on percussion instruments ranging from the marimba to the drums. Throughout the recital, he brought his colleagues, Allen and Justus, on stage to perform various songs with him.

Being no newcomer to the faculty percussion recital,  Allen said, “This is something that I do many times. I perform in several recitals here through the course of the school year.”

Allen said he really enjoys such events.

“Of course, I like playing for an audience. I like, especially, introducing my students to new things and to new sounds. To be a little bit selfish about it, I like performing with a great colleague, someone who can play as beautifully as Dr. Hicken. It is very easy to work with him. It is very intellectually and musically satisfying.”

Allen also previews what is to come for recitals in the future.

“We will have one that is a complete duo recital next semester. I have a solo recital coming up next month.”

About 30 students who attended the recital said they enjoyed the music, for the most part.

“For music appreciation, we need to come to at least three concerts,” Avery Lewis, education sophomore, said. “Yeah, it was really cool. The beginning was really cool.”

Tatum Sharp, education freshman, also came to the recital for the same reason as Lewis and said, “I liked the beginning more than I liked the end.”