About 60 people attend wellness 5k run/walk

Samuel Sutton

The starting line up taking off at the beginning of the Superhero 5K around the Sikes Lake trail on Sept. 28. Photo by Kayla White.

Fitness, positivity, free T-shirts, and a quirky suit were the highlights of the 5k run/walk for wellness week Sept. 28, at 7 p.m.

“I thought it was a great run. I loved being able to come out here and work out with some of the other students,” Jennifer Patton, a freshman in education, said.

Sarah Wood, a freshman in marketing, said, “my favorite thing about the event was definitely the free T-shirt.”

This was the first event of Wellness Week, hosted by residence life.

Amy Melholland, marketing junior, Taylor Sikes.sociology senior, and Sandra Alonzo, nursing senior, running together on their first lap of the Superhero 5K around the Sikes Lake trail on Sept. 28. Photo by Kayla White.

Amy Melholland, marketing junior, Taylor Sikes, sociology senior, and Sandra Alonzo, nursing senior, run together on their first lap of the Superhero 5K around the Sikes Lake trail on Sept. 28. Photo by Kayla White.

Angie Reay, the interim director of residence life, said, “Our goal for the event is to have a strong kickoff for Wellness Week, while also showing awareness for fitness and good health.”

Ready said they produced 50 shirts for the event, yet 60 people participated.

“While I loved the event, it kinda sucked that I didn’t get my free T-shirt. I should’ve come earlier,” Patton said.

Another highlight of the event was Ian Thompson, a junior in special education, who dressed up in a black morph-suit, pink shorts, and put an MSU flag on his back as a cape. He called himself the “Stang Man.”

“I gotta show my school spirit, man. I dress up like this for a lot of events, and people usually show a positive response,” Thompson said.

Ian "The Stang Man"  Thompson, special education junior, running in his black morphsuit with the MSU flag tied around his neck at the Superhero 5K around the Sikes Lake trail on Sept. 28. Photo by Kayla White.

Ian “The Stang Man” Thompson, special education junior, run in his black morphsuit with the MSU flag tied around his neck at the Superhero 5K around the Sikes Lake trail on Sept. 28. Photo by Kayla White.

The winner of the event was Joe Parker, a sophomore in geoscience.

“It was fun. I’m glad I heard about it because it gave me a reason to get my run in for the day,” Parker said.

This year officials expanded the events across an entire week, not just one day.

“We expanded it from a day to a week so that students would have more opportunities to improve their overall health and wellness,” Reay said.