Police chief: Thanks for your efforts, advocacy

Chief of Police Dan Williams talks with members of the police and fire departments after a bomb threat forced the evacuation of the campus Dec. 8, 2014. Photo by Lauren Roberts

OUR VIEW: Police Chief Dan Williams has been a tireless advocate for students and public safety on campus during his tenure. Officials need to hire someone just as competent and student-friendly.

Dan Williams has done a significant amount of work for the university in the years he has been police chief. As university officials prepare for his Dec. 31 retirement, we would like to thank Williams for the dedication he has provided to campus.

Officer safety has been a top priority under the direction of Williams. Police officers now wear bulletproof vests and carry high-powered rifles in preparation for any situation on campus. Williams has ensured the safety of his staff and advocated the importance of student safety.

Williams has worked to maintain updated technology. The university has purchased new vehicles. The department has replaced the radio system to allow officers to communicate with surrounding agencies, stressing the importance of inter-agency cooperation.

Campus parking has improved under the direction of Williams as chief. Parking lots six and 13 were developed as well as the lot located by the police station during Williams’ tenure. Parking may not perfect for all students all of the time, but we still feel Williams and other officials have tried their best to provide efficient parking even when construction gets in the way.

In addition, Williams has maintained an atmosphere of being open and transparent. With one exception — the anonymous email sent to an adviser in Dillard last winter about a bomb threat — he has helped keep public records where they need to be — in the public eye. He led the evacuation of campus in a relatively orderly and organized fashion and kept all of us informed.

As university officials search for a new chief, we hope they seek an equal successor to Williams. We thank you, Chief Williams, for your commitment to the students, faculty and staff. The students wish you and your family happy times in your retirement. You can come back and teach Active Shooter classes any time you want.