Compare and contrast Ebola and the flu

Felicia Svanehed

Read More: More than 120 attend community meeting on Ebola

Read More: Ebola: Just wash your hands

Deaths

EBOLA: One person died in United States

FLU: 3,000 to 49,000 according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

“I believe the people are overreacting to the recent outbreak of Ebola. Ebola is extremely easy to isolate as it is not very contagious and has much lower mortality rate in the United States and Europe thanks to better medical care than regions of Africa,” Gage White, freshman in nursing, said.

“I thought that the Ebola outbreak was much worse but when I started to read about it and took an interest in it I realized that people make it seem far worse than it actually is, and I don’t think we need to worry so much about it,” Emily Richburg, freshman in nursing, said.

Contagiousness

EBOLA: Not highly contagious

FLU: Highly contagious

“Honestly it’s kind of scary that the flu spreads so easily, but people don’t even think about that because all they worry about is Ebola and how that is spreading. They should worry about something else because Ebola is not our worst problem,” Kenadi Campbell, computer science freshman, said.

Symptoms

EBOLA: Signs and Symptoms: Fever, sore throat, headaches, muscle pain, diarrhea, and vomiting

FLU: Signs and Symptoms: Cough, sore throat, runny nose, muscle pain, headaches

“The fact that Ebola and Flu is so much like is kind of frightening but at the same time it’s a safety as well because it chance is much bigger that you have FLU instead of Ebola,” Kenadi Campbell, computer science freshman, said.

Vaccines

EBOLA: No Vaccine

FLU: Vaccine available

“I feel safer when I know there is a vaccine for a virus that I might be infected by. Even though Ebola isn’t as severe as people make it out to be it’s still something that I think we should have a vaccine for,” Kenzie Anderson, freshman in nursing, said.

“I am not taking the flu shot this year, I think it is unnecessary because I don’t believe that the flu is a big deal. It comes every time around this time of the year and I always seem to manage just fine without the flu shot,” Gage White, freshman in nursing, said.