Theater grad in Super Bowl commercial

Courtney Gilder

Doritos commercial titled “Definitely Visible” gets a little weird when a guy named Mickey thinks he might actually be invisible.

Cast in what she termed a strange turn of events via Facebook and email, the Doritos “Definitely Visible” Super Bowl commercial featured Nicole Neely, a 2014 graduate in theater, on three occasions.

“It was kinda crazy,” Neely said. “One of my director friends posted on Facebook about another director needing extras for a commercial he was producing. I messaged him on Facebook and got his email address and sent him my resume and head shots.”

Neely said they shot three different commercials that day, this one in downtown Fort Worth, but she was in just one of them.

“He told me he could use me and to bring six different outfits for the day,” she said of what ended up being a 13-hour day for her first appearance in a television commercial.

“It was a long day,” Neely said. “It was just a lot of sitting and waiting. Whenever the shot was ready, we would drive to the location and just do whatever they needed us to do.”

Aside from getting paid $100 for the day and $25 for bringing her own outfits, Neely said she learned how to hold and eat a Dorito the proper way.

Neely said, “It took them five bags of Doritos to find 20 perfect Doritos. The director said the Dorito should be held in the middle of the long side and eaten point first. You can also hold the corner and eat it flat side in.”

Neely said aside from never getting to eat a Dorito on scene she is featured in three different shots. First she is the girl in the purple sweater is in the coffee shop area where the guy is eating the sandwich. Second in the party scene she said she was hard to find. “When he wipes his hands on the woman, you can see me between the two women heading toward the hot tub.” Finally, at the end when the guy is naked at the park she is seen walking on the sidewalk wearing khakis.

I learned that shooting a five-second bit can take four hours or more,” Neely said. “It’s crazy how much care they take into a shot.”

Neely, who now lives in McKinney, said she is spending her time auditioning, taking audition classes and taking voice classes. Her next audition is in Memphis for Unified Professional Theater Auditions at which professional theaters around the country come to cast people for various roles.

“It’ll be pretty neat,” she said.