A farewell from the graduating seniors of The Wichitan

Reminiscing is a part of moving on, it is the last lap of every journey. And so, it should come as no surprise that the graduating members of the Wichitan reminisce on their college experiences and working for the newspaper.

Natalie was able to find an outlet for her voice and hone her writing skills with the Wichitan. Photo courtesy of Natalie Cook.

Natalie Cook:

Ever since I was little, I have always had a lot to say. The only thing I ever got in trouble for was talking. Before writing for The Wichitan, I really had never thought about doing something like this. I’ve always liked English class, and wrote poems no one would ever see, and while I toyed with the idea of making things I wrote, public, I never had the guts to do it. What started off as a requirement to graduate, turned into an outlet for me.

I immediately knew I wanted to do TV, movie and music reviews. If I wasn’t busy talking, I was watching TV or listening to music. You’ll find my phone playing Spotify most of the day, and my list of favorite movies and shows are never ending. Being able to write about things I enjoy and have them published in the paper has been really cool and rewarding.

I’ve learned a lot about how to improve my writing and how to work with a very diverse team. It’s been cool to see all of these people from different backgrounds come together to produce a paper. I was pushed out of my comfort zone and encouraged to use my voice, which I will always be thankful for.

Thank you to everyone at The Wichitan for giving me a place to share my voice. I’ve always had a voice, I just needed somewhere for it to go.

Joseph Nelson joined the Wichitan to help socialize after COVID and enjoyed writing reviews with the paper. Photo courtersy of Joseph Nelson.

Joseph Nelson:

When I returned to campus in Fall 2020, I was desperate to be a part of as many campus organizations as I could. I knew that chances to connect with others could be taken away at the snap of a finger, or more accurately a breath of virus-contaminated air. I realized I should have always been looking at college this way, but it took a pandemic to teach me this lesson and break through my thick skull. I am so glad I learned it, as The Wichitan has become a key part of the latter half of my college experience. Every two weeks, I loved channeling all my favorite film critics with movies they’ve yet to review. From RedLetterMedia to The Cosmonaut Variety Hour to YourMovieSucksDOTorg (they’re more thoughtful than they sound), I am very grateful to The Wichitan for giving me an avenue to express my own takes on movies and encouraging readers to at least look at filmmaking in a different way than before.  I’m also grateful to my other staff members, as they made coming to production nights (when I could) a fun and energetic environment to feel myself in. I hope younger undergrads will be wiser than I and embrace their college experience and take every opportunity to get involved in MSU’s rich student environment.

Keza developed her design skills while working with the Wichitan this semester. Photo courtesy of Keza Muvunyi.

Keza Muvunyi:

“You can’t be your best self by yourself.”

When I came to MSU as a wide-eyed freshman, I could never have anticipated the lessons, memories, heartache and pure joy I would experience.

Like most others, I thought I would come to college and all my wildest college fantasies would come true. I thought within a month I would find my group of friends with whom I would create all my memories. I thought I would go to a basketball game and begin my own real-life story of “Love and Basketball.” I had so many expectations that never came to fruition. Instead, my reality was centered around finding a community that I connected to. I found the Wesley Campus Ministry, which became monumental in my growth and development. I found the MOSAIC Cross-Cultural Center, which gave me a steady stomping ground. I joined organizations like the BSU and NAACP that allowed me to develop the leadership skills I knew were dormant in me just waiting to be found.

My last stop on this collegiate train I have been on for the past four years was The Wichitan. Joining The Wichitan this semester allowed me to develop my design skills and have some fun while doing it.