MOSAIC hosts “Noche de Estrellas” gala at Sikes Lake Center

Colin Stevenson

English senior Veronica Flores and biology with chemistry minor senior Estafani Vasquez dance with friends among the flashing lights at Noche de Estrellas, Oct. 15.

MOSAIC hosted the Noche de Estrellas gala with guest speaker and MSU Texas alumnus Valerie Martinez at Sikes Lake Center for the closing ceremony of Hispanic Heritage Month on Oct. 15.

“I am really beyond honored and really humbled to be here with all of you tonight. When I was asked to be a speaker for Hispanic Heritage Month, I hesitated, because I sometimes ask myself if I’m good enough. I was thinking maybe I had some type of imposter syndrome,” Martinez said. “But I said, you know what, I need to do this because you never really ever want to turn down an opportunity.”

Martinez grew up in Corpus Christi, Texas, but soon had an opportunity at MSU and found her new home away from home in Wichita Falls, Texas. Martinez earned her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science at MSU, and later received her Master’s degree from Texas Christian University. MOSAIC invited Martinez to give Hispanic students motivation to work through college.

Guest speaker and MSU alumnus Valerie Martinez speaks to the audience at Noche de Estrellas. "You need people who are going to be there for you and assist you in the ups-and-downs. These ups-and-downs will not end with your collegiate years," Martinez said.
Guest speaker and MSU alumnus Valerie Martinez speaks to the audience at Noche de Estrellas. “You need people who are going to be there for you and assist you in the ups-and-downs. These ups-and-downs will not end with your collegiate years,” Martinez said, Oct. 15. (Colin Stevenson)

“I’ve always said that Midwestern State is my home away from home, and it feels really great to be home,” Martinez said. “I’m going to give you some key ideas that I have done to work through some of this imposter syndrome, because I want you all to know you belong and deserve to be here at MSU.”

Martinez shared experiences she has had through her career. She also spoke about mentors that helped her overcome struggles and the importance of building a network that will support and guide you through college.

“Hopefully some of my experiences will help you out during your struggles. It’s normal to have struggles. This is part of your journey.” Martinez said, “Find mentors. You really need to find some cheerleaders; put them in your network, because you need people who are going to be there for you and assist you in the ups-and-downs. These ups-and-downs will not end with your collegiate years.”

She continued by advising students to believe in their skills and to be confident in college. She also mentioned the importance to absorb the skills that you are given in college for future opportunities. Martinez spoke about the noteworthiness of diversity and inclusion, and the significance of Hispanics being represented in colleges in Texas and in the United States overall. Additionally, she stressed the responsibility to help open doors for other Hispanic students that struggle in college.

“I have a responsibility to represent for all that will come long after I have worn out my seat at the table,” Martinez said. “The Hispanic Heritage Gala is such a big part of solidifying the Hispanic legacy at MSU, and I hope students will continue to support this legacy long after they leave MSU.”

MOSAIC and the Hispanic Heritage Month committee ended the month-long celebration of Hispanic heritage with food, a formal dance and a guest speaker whose speech included key ways for a successful student to make wise choices.

People gather together to take photos at one of the available backdrops at the Noche de Estrellas gala.
People gather together to take photos at one of the available backdrops at the Noche de Estrellas gala, Oct. 15. (Colin Stevenson)

“I love Valerie. We used to be co-advisors for the Student Ambassadors when she was here working for admissions,” Cammie Dean, director of MOSAIC Cross-Cultural Center, assistant vice-president of student affairs for equity and inclusion, and director of Priddy Scholars, said. “I have always enjoyed hearing her. I thought she had very wise words to share. She is absolutely right in the things I think students need to hear more of.”