Men’s basketball is almost here

Thalia Doe, Sports Editor

Men’s basketball is officially only 41 days away. There will be new faces this season considering a few additions of transfer students have joined the Stang gang. The first game will be held in our very own D.L Ligon Coliseum at 7:30 p.m. after the women’s game against UC Colorado Springs.

Jace Johnson (No. 0), mass communications junior, is a first-year transfer from Chattahoochee Valley Community College, he says what motivated his transfer to MSU was the coaching staff and ability to play in the LSC Conference.

“The biggest thing that influenced me to come here was our coaching staff. Coach Leslie gave me a chance to continue playing the game I love when not many others did, and that means a lot to me. Also, the ability to play in the Lone Star Conference. I believe this is the best conference in the country, and the chance to compete in it doesn’t come around often,” Johnson said.

Johnson says he has improved during the time off given due to COVID-19 in areas such as endurance and IQ of the game.

“I’m extremely happy and excited to have a normal season again. COVID-19 changed everything last year and basketball wasn’t an exception. I feel I’ve greatly improved my ability to think about the logistics of the game and make more shots even when I’m tired. I have watched more film in the last year than I can remember and I know that will pay off this season. Also, my work in the weight room helped me improve my physical conditioning which will benefit our team as well,” Johnson said.
Johnson’s transition to MSU has gone by smoothly so far. Although very different from home, he says that teammates and coaches welcomed him with open arms.
“My transition here at MSU has been great so far. It’s different than home for sure, but everybody has been helpful every step of the way. My teammates and coaches welcomed me with open arms, and have treated me as if I’ve been here for years already. My professors have all been great and they have me excited for their classes,” Johnson said.

Terrell Wilson (No.10) applied arts and sciences senior, says that he is relieved that last year is behind and can now look forward to a fresh start. Wilson says he’s most improved on his decision-making while on the court.

“I am relieved that last year is now behind us and I am looking forward to a fresh start, the skills that I have learned this past year given the time off, I think I’ve most improved on my decision making on the court with passing and shot selection, that was one area that was really important to me throughout the summer,” Wilson said.

Wilson wants to help lead his team to the championships this year and continue to build relationships with one another on and off the court. Looking back, now as a senior, Wilson says he’s most improved in patience while on the court.

“My personal goal this season is to help lead the team to the championships and to keep improving and building a strong relationship with my teammates on and off the court. Looking back from when I was a freshman to now, I definitely see how I’ve matured as an athlete and have grown in areas that were once my weaker areas. Overall, I’ve become a lot more patient on and off the court. You can expect to see a lot of buckets and smiles from me this season,” Wilson said.