MSU Texas announces changes in COVID-19 protocol

MSU Texas sent a postmaster Thursday, Aug. 18 announcing changes in the university’s COVID-19 policies and procedures.

MSU previously announced its return to normalcy this fall by going into Phase IV, but the university has now also clarified changes to the quarantine procedure.

Fully vaccinated students who are not experiencing symptoms will not have to quarantine or seek testing after being exposed to persons who tested positive for COVID-19, including their roommates. Students should still monitor symptoms for 14 days and quarantine if symptoms develop.

Unvaccinated students will be required to quarantine for a minimum of 10 days or longer depending on testing and degree of contact. Quarantine will not be required if the student can prove a COVID-19 diagnosis and recovery in the last 90 days and is symptom-free.

Regardless of vaccination status, students who test positive for COVID-19 will be required to self-isolate. Students living on campus will be provided with a location to complete the self-isolation period. Students who test positive for COVID-19 must also fill out the COVID-19 Reporting Form for Students.

As previously announced, facemasks will not be required for any indoor or outdoor activities on campus, except for inside the Vinson Health Center who requires all visitors to wear a mask. Even though it is not required, MSU strongly recommends wearing masks when around others in indoor settings. Along with masks, COVID-19 vaccines are not mandated but MSU also strongly recommends for all students to be vaccinated.

The Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center and Texas Tech Health Sciences Center El Paso hosted a virtual town hall on Aug. 18 titled “This Is Your Shot: Vaccine Facts & Science,” where questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccine were answered. The video can be found on the TexasTechSystem Youtube channel.