ANNOUNCEMENT: I.M.O. Column contest details
February 24, 2021
Have something you want to complain about or boast about MSU? This is your chance!
The Wichitan is holding the first “In My Opinion” column contest now until March 22, open to any MSU Texas Student currently enrolled at MSU. The first place winner will receive a $50 VISA gift card and a place in the March 29 issue of The Wichitan.
By submitting a column, you are giving The Wichitan permission to publish your work both in the newspaper and on the official Wichitan website, even if you are not one of the winners chosen.
- The columns will be scored and voted on by the senior staff of The Wichitan, and judging will be based equally on:
- Originality- Is the column the author’s own work? Does the column stand out amongst similar columns?
- Quality of writing- Are there many grammar and spelling errors? How well does the column flow in terms of readability?
- Personality/Voice- How well does the author get their voice and personality across within the confines of the column?
- First Place:
- $50 VISA gift card
- Will be showcased on the entire second page of the March 1 issue of the Wichitan
- Second Place
- $25 VISA gift card
- Will be showcased in a smaller form with third place on the third page of the March 1 issue of The Wichitan
- Third Place
- $5 SONIC gift card
- Will be showcased in a smaller form with second place on the third page of the March 1 issue of The Wichitan
What to submit:
- A personal column stating your opinion about any topic you’re passionate about,
- must be about MSU Texas or the Wichita Falls area
- can be positive or negative
- 450-700 words, broken into paragraph
How to submit:
- Email your submission to [email protected] as a word document from your MSU email account; if you wrote your column on Google Docs it will still give you the option to download the document as a word document
- Email must include:
- your column
- a headshot (picture of you facing the camera from the abdomen up)
- your full first and last name
- your major and classification (ex. freshman, sophomore…)
When to submit:
- The last day to submit will be Monday, March 22, 2021.
- The senior staff members of The Wichitan will meet Tuesday, Feb. 27 to decide on the winners of the contest
- Winners can expect to be contacted about when to pick up their prize by Wednesday, Feb. 28
Examples of columns: