Summer Employment Fair on April 24

The Career Management Center hosted its annual Summer Employment Fair on April 24 in the Legacy Multipurpose Room. Students who were interested in seeking summer  employment attended the event to visit with the 24 companies at the fair

JC Eakin, college coordinator for the career management center, said, “Our function on campus is to do everything that we can to take a student from their freshman, sophomore, junior and all the way to their senior year, and help them get further into their career with getting a job, filling out a resume, mock interviews, how to dress for interviews or a job. This fair is one more thing up our alley with getting students lined up with potential employers.”

Students at the Summer Employment Fair on April 24
Sky Barron
Students attend the Summer Employment Fair on April 24.

There were 24 companies looking to hire students for the summer time. Jobs ranged from retail, to fast food restaurants and even summer camps. Some of the companies at the fair came from the Dallas/Fort Worth area, for the students who will return to the metroplex for the summer.

About 100 students were in and out of the fair. Students were asked to dress appropriately to show professionalism while speaking with employers. Students brought resumes and were prepared to answer questions about themselves.

Amelia Ecevido, biology senior, said, “I came to the fair because I am looking for a another  job on top of the job I already have. I am hoping to find something that is flexible enough to work around my summer school schedule and my other part time job. It was a good opportunity to look at places that are hiring for the summer, especially since I am staying in the Wichita Falls area.”

Students receiving more information about jobs openings for a summer camp.
Sky Barron
Students receive more information about jobs openings for a summer camp.

Eakin said, the fair gets more students jobs and opportunities because it builds connections. All they had to do was walk across campus, they didn’t have to drive anywhere because everything was in one room. This made it easier for students who don’t have the time or access to be driving around town to find a job.

Melanie Joseph, nursing sophomore, said, “It’s important for students to come to this event because it provided opportunities for the summer time. I came because I was interested in one of the summer camp jobs. It was really easy to access because all the job opportunities were all in one place.”

According to Eakin, scoring a job is easier when students have connections rather than just applying and showing a resume. The fair helped students connect with employers and build relationship in a casual environment. Students were able to gain interview skills, learn how to  present themselves nicely and how to communicate. Connections are the keys to any job and the fair provided those opportunities.

Tomi Oladipo, finance freshman, said, “The best part was that the people at the booths, they were very helpful and you could tell they wanted to help the students. The pamphlets and business cards were also very helpful for future reference. There were prizes and sweets at each booth, overall the event was worth going to.”

Companies that attended the fair:

• Buckle
  • Midwestern State university Facility Services
  • Ceta Canyon Camp and Retreat Center
  • Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas
  • Colonial Life & Accident Company
  • Project Transformation North Texas
  • Children’s Aid Society of West Texas Inc.
  • Romex Pest Control
  • Wichita Falls MPEC
  • Fisher59
  • Wichita FAlls YMCA
  • Chick-Fil-A of Wichita FAlls
  • Union Square Credit Union
  • All-Tex Pipe and Supply
  • Texas Department of Transportation
  • The United Family
  • Camp Fire North Texas
  • Highland Lakes Camp & Conference Center
  • Boys & Girls Club of Wichita Falls
  • Academy Sports and Outdoors
  • Express Employment Professionals
  • Helen Farabee Centers
  • Camp Cho-Yeh
  • GEO Group