Day in the life of Julia Orozco

Orozco

Orozco getting ready for classes after weight training in the morning. Photo by Randi Heaton

From 6:45 a.m. weights to 6 p.m. practice with a day full of classes in between, Julia Orozco, nursing sophomore, has minimal free time. Being a part of the women’s soccer team and preparing to enter the nursing program makes for a busy day.

Orozco came all the way from McKinney, Texas where her family lives, to Wichita Falls, Texas to play soccer and go to school. She has a large family including one older sister and three younger brothers.

“My house was filled with chaos with my little brothers and I was always busy doing things from school, soccer, helping with my brothers and homework so I’m used to the busy lifestyle,” Orozco said.

Orozco’s day begins with a bit of physical activity with the team in the D.L. Ligon Coliseum.

Orozco
When Orozco has free time she loves to hang out in her room to relax. Photo by Randi Heaton

“Monday is my busiest day here. I wake up at 6:10 a.m. to get ready and head over to weights which starts at 6:45 a.m.,” Orozco said. “I go into the weight room with my team and lift weights until about 7:30 a.m.”

After weights, Orozco returns to her dorm room where she showers to get ready for the rest of her day including anatomy and physiology at 9 a.m, psychology at 10 a.m and Spanish at 11 a.m.

“I’m going into nursing because I want to be able to help people with any pain or health issues someone may have,” Orozco said.

Heather Vanderloo, exercise psychology sophomore, a teammate, friend and classmate of Orozco, said she and Orozco run in the same circles.

Orozco
Orozco is doing some homework while eating at Mavericks Corner between classes and practice. Photo by Randi Heaton

“I see Julia a lot throughout the day from weights, Spanish class and practice,” Vanderloo said. “She is such a great person to be around because she is always happy and has a smile on her face.”

At noon, Orozco takes a break from classes but continues her studies in study hall. She has to complete five hours a week of study hall which consists of her spending time in the soccer lounge at the coliseum studying. Then after an hour of study hall she goes to her anatomy and physiology lab which takes an hour and a half and then head to rehab.

In March Orozco suffered a career inhibiting injury, tearing her anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus. Inspired by her own experience, Orozco now begins the rehabilitation process.

“At 2:30 p.m. I will go to rehab with the athletic trainers. I am normally in the training room for an hour to an hour and half doing exercises to help strengthen my knee and get me back to playing as soon as possible.”

Lauryn Leininger, athletic training graduate assistant and exercise psychology master’s student, helps Orozco with her rehab each day.

“Julia comes in for rehab and we do exercises to help strengthen her quad. She is in the athletic training room for an hour to and hour and a half,” Leininger said. “She is always happy and is just a bright spot in my day”

After rehab, Orozco has some time before evening practice which starts a 5:15 p.m.

orozco
Orozco hanging out outside at Legacy reading some text messages. Photo by Randi Heaton

“After that I normally try to go get some food and then either go back to study hall to get some more hours before practice or just finish up some homework in my room,” Orozco said.

At 5 p.m. Orozco walks to practice to participate but can’t due to her injury.

“Practice is about two hours and after I normally go eat with some of my teammates,” Orozco said. “Then I normally go back to my room, shower and cram in some last-minute homework. After everything is done then I either watch Netflix, makeup tutorials on YouTube or read a book.”

Senna Garcia, biology freshman, is on the team with Orozco as well as a very good friend of her.

“Julia is a very kind-hearted person and one of the most social people I know,” Garcia said. “She gets along with everybody.”