Geosciences Club raises funds with biannual rock, mineral sale

Rocks and minerals such as Sphalerite, Calcite, Scoriaceous Scoria, and Magnetite on sale for the geoscience club fundraiser. Photo by Peyton Alonzo.

After students walked through the foyer of Bolin Hall, they were met with a wide range of rocks, minerals, and fossils for sale by the Geosciences Club, on April 3-4.

Jonathan Price, associate professor and faculty supervisor of the Geoscience Club, believes that the fundraiser impacts both students in and out of the geoscience majors.

For all students in general, Price said, “It’s a great opportunity to engage student interest in earth materials, raise awareness about geologic systems, and alert students to the club.”

The Geoscience Club raised roughly around $350 from the sale. The proceeds from the rock and mineral sale will be used to support the Geoscience Club’s field trips, homecoming activities, and the occasional pizza lunch.

For geoscience majors, Price said, “The program’s students get an opportunity to share their knowledge about earth materials to a broader audience. They also benefit from increased exposure to a wide range of samples shown.”

The rock and minerals samples included rocks like Granite, polished pieces from countertops from Llano, and pieces from a formation in West Texas. The sale also included minerals like Calcite for Arlington, Texas, and Gypsum from Oklahoma. Some samples, club members collected themselves or other people have donated the samples to go into the rock sale.

“The club enhances the education of Geosciences majors and minors, as well as other students with an abiding interest in geology. Additionally, it provides a relaxed social setting for those interested in the Earth,” said Price.

Alexandria Stevenson, geoscience graduate and Geoscience Club president, said, “Every rock and mineral have different characteristics. I love calcite because it effervesces when putting one drop of dilute hydrochloric acid on it. There are so many reasons why I’m interested in different rocks and minerals.”

This semester the Geoscience Club’s field trip will be to examine the geology of the Wichita Mountains.

Kelli Shipley, Geoscience senior and volunteer, said, “I love to see the love that people have for the rocks and minerals that are presented. The rocks and mineral are special in a way because they aren’t the everyday rocks that we see in class.”

Students on the field trip to the Wichita Mountains are going to see different rock samples and hear about research that has been done in the area. Some of the research being studied includes Price’s and Stevenson’s research that they collected.

Madison Howard, English freshman, said, “I have always been interested in the wide variety of rocks, fossils, and rock deposits. I’m from Abilene, Texas and I couldn’t bring my personal collection, so the sale is a way I’m able to have my collection here without damaging my personal collection. The prices here are lower than most shops that sell rocks and fossil. So at the end of the day, it’s a rock and it’s a good sale.”