Break a leg at the cheer clinic

The cheer team is hosting a cheer clinic in Don Flatt Gym in the D.L. Ligon Coliseum April 7 from 2 p.m- 4 p.m.

“I’ve been waiting for this for the longest time. I’m so excited to be back cheering again,” Haley Johnson, nursing freshman said.

Clinics are open to anyone 15 years of age and older. The cost is $30 for pre-registration and walk up registration. On site registration will start 30 minutes before the clinic’s start time.

The goal of the clinic is to give girls and guys that plan on trying out a sneak peak of what they will look like. They practice stunts, jumps and tumbling. Students will get to experience what tryouts will be like and learn what to have ready.

“I want to get a head start for tryouts so I’m going to go and see what all I should have perfected by May 18. I also can’t wait to see how many girls plan on showing up,” Ariana Sanders, sociology sophomore said.

Cheerleaders attend almost every football and basketball game, whether it’s at home or away. They also compete on a national talent level as part of the Universal Cheerleaders Association.

It isn’t required, but it is recommended to go to the clinics if you plan on trying out so you won’t be blind sided at tryouts.

“I’ll definitely be there because I want to see what it’s about and get a feel for it before I commit to trying out. I also want to see which stunts I need to get down packed. Cheer clinic are always fun to me. It gives me a chance to meet new people, learn jumps and stunts, get to know more about the coach and the girls already on the team,” Taylor, psychology sophomore said.