Mardi Gras celebration held March 5

The University Programming Board members hosted Fat Tuesday, a Mardi Gras celebration in Legacy Multipurpose Room on March 5, for about 40 people.

The celebration included making bead wreaths, a photo booth, wine glass decorating, free food, and and a showing of the movie “Princess and the Frog.”

Kari Bell, management senior and late night and weekend chair for UPB, said she hopes people enjoyed the celebration since it was a nice way to come out, meet new people and enjoy free food.

“Coming out to this celebration is just for the fun time, and I know we don’t have a lot of crawfish places to eat so to actually be able to have a Fat Tuesday on campus was a good thing to host,” Bell said.

Bell said her favorite part of the night was the Mardi Gras themed decorations, and the crawfish.

“I’m really big on décor, so setting up was fun for me, and of course the crawfish,” Bell said.

The event included, a Mardi Gras  dinner, including crawfish and king cake. (But also had chicken tenders for those who didn’t want the crawfish.)

Morgan Dunlap, art freshman, said she was surprised they actually had seafood at the celebration.

“My favorite part was probably the crawfish. It was really good. I didn’t expect them to actually have seafood,” Dunlap said.

Desireé Harris, biology junior, also said the food was her favorite part of the night. The food was the big hit of the celebration.

“My favorite part of the night has been the food. It’s spicy and I love it,” Harris said.

Harris said she didn’t know how to eat crawfish, so having to learn how to eat it correctly was an interesting twist.

“I didn’t know how to eat crawfish, its been awhile so I had to re-learn how to eat it and what parts not to eat,” Harris said.

Harris said she enjoyed the event and she will come to the event if it is hosted again next year.

“UPB is the best. The set-up is cute, the people are great, the food was great, so yes I would definitely come again,” Harris said.

New to UPB, Savannah Lopez, social work freshman, said she saw this event as a great opportunity to meet and socialize with others in the UPB organization and other students.

“I’ve never attended the event before, this is my first time. I came because I recently joined UPB and thought it was a great opportunity to meet others,” Lopez said.