Volleyball defeated by Texas Women’s for last home game

Kristin Tempelmeyer

More stories from Kristin Silva

Erin Richburg attacks ball
Kristin Silva
Erin Richburg, kinesiology junior, jumps and attacks the set in game versus Texas Women’s University.

Volleyball hosted its last home game of the season Oct. 23 versus Texas Women’s University. The team started the match strong winning game one 25-23, losing game two 14-25, losing game three 13-25 and fought for the win in game four, but lost 23-25 for a 1-3 finish.

Rockelle Gholson, mass communication junior | “Today’s game was definitely a roadblock. Our whole season has been a process and today has been one of the games we have to learn from and definitely come back from. As a team this is not what we had expected for our last home game. We definitely want to come out with a ‘W’ to be in the conference tournament.”

Raven Presley, engineering sophomore | “[The game] had its moments — we were up and down most of the time. I just think we have trouble finishing and once we get that worked out we’ll be in good shape. I thought we were going to come out with a lot more energy [for our last home game]. It was just a weird vibe going on out there.”

Tiara Wilson, exercise physiology sophomore | “In today’s game we just weren’t a unit. We had a lot of effort, but we needed to work together more. To be honest, I didn’t really have any expectations for this last home game.”

Samantha Manio, nursing freshman | “We need to be more disciplined in doing our job on the court and talking to each other. The team atmosphere is great — everyone is always supportive of each other when we’re down — it’s just about execution. It sucks [losing the last home game] but we have a lot of room to grow since most of us are so young, and it’s great to see the potential we have for down the road.”

Erin Richburg, kinesiology junior | “Obviously I wish the outcome was different, but we worked hard and we just need to get back in the gym and rep next few practices so that we can finish as well as we can. I expected us to win [this last home game] — to fight and play hard — but we just have to focus on getting the next one.”

Addy Cook, finance sophomore | “We definitely could have started better, but we ended great. Our effort was okay, but everything didn’t come together at one time. That’s not the best way to end the home games, but we have four more games to finish out the season strong.”

Taylor Anderson, mass communication freshman | “We had moments when we really pushed and we had moments when we didn’t. We just have to learn from our mistakes. There were times when we could have pushed a little harder when we had more ‘umf’, but we didn’t. Everyone has their down days and this was one of ours.”

Sarah Glawe, early education junior | “We could have done a lot better if we put up a better fight. It came down to energy and we didn’t have enough fight. On the court, it’s always hard to pick up [the energy] but we did well at coming together after every point and talking. I wish the way this game went wasn’t the case, but I know that we can get another win on the road. We still have a shot [for conference] if we come in guns blazing, with full intent and play the way we know how to play we’ll do well.”