Logan gives Hugh Jackman proper Wolverine sendoff

Tyler Manning

Tyler Manning

Hugh Jackman and Stephen Merchant in Logan (2017). Photo by Ben Rothstein, Marvel.

I was greatly impressed with Fox Studio’s release of Deadpool, last year. It was refreshing to see a modern comic book movie take such a bold risk in service of adapting its character faithfully. This is the same feeling I had when leaving Logan.

Logan takes place in a near future where mutants have become few and far between and some of the remaining are Wolverine and Professor Xavier. Logan is tasked with the objective of transporting a new mutant to a safe zone, away from those who seek her. This film is directed by James Mangold and stars Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Dafne Keen and Boyd Holbrook.

Overall Logan is a movie that not only acts as a fitting end to the legacy of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine but also one that provides a grounded, character driven story that is seldom to find in today’s plethora of comic book films.

I am proud to say that this is Hugh Jackman’s best work as the character. His performance is genuine and incredible to watch. You can tell the immense love and respect that he has for Wolverine and for the previous films he has worked on. Jackman has always given this character and franchise the most effort he can give, and it is nice to see him truly shine here.

The other performances hold up really well in this film too. Veteran actor Patrick Stewart gives a touching and real performance as an older, more senile iteration of Professor X. I also enjoyed Dafne Keen’s performance as X-23 quite a lot. It was surprising to see such a young actor hold her own against well acclaimed actors.

One of the biggest strengths in this movie, and something that I personally look for most in films, is its sense of character. Logan serves as a deconstruction of the Wolverine character. For a character that has been always associated with his invincibility and brute strength, this film presents him as a man broken down physically and emotionally by his past mistakes. He is scarred, living day-to-day, making money in the hopes that one day he and Xavier can retire. The world has broken him to the point that he simply wants to die.

Like DeadpoolLogan also strays from comic book movie conventions through its frequent use of gore, blood and language. It is satisfying to finally see Wolverine unrestrained in this film. The ‘R’ rating really lets the film breath and is never used inappropriately or distastefully. All of the language and gore feels natural and consistent with how the characters are set up.

I do have a minor problem with the film that is also indicative of the series as a whole. One of the staples of Fox Studio’s X-Men cinematic universe is its inconsistent continuity between movies and that is apparent in this film. I felt that the film should have given a bit more backstory to better establish the world it presents in this film. I often felt myself questioning how the world got to point it is. This is, however, not a fatal flaw; just one that slightly annoyed me.

In a time where we are seeing more than five comic book movies a year, it is nice to see one stray from conventions and tell a genuine and character-driven story. Logan was an authentic and touching movie that made me feel an emotional connection to its characters. Do yourself a favor and watch this movie.

Rating: 8.5/10

Still out in local theaters

About the Writer
Tyler Manning, Reporter
Tyler Manning is a reporter and film critic for The Wichitan. Tyler is in his fourth year, majoring in mass communication with a minor in broadcasting. His time at The Wichitan began as a film critic in the spring semester of 2017. His appreciation for film led him to the publication as he wanted an outlet...