Sikes Lake ‘cleans up’ its act

Mekala Conway

Sarah Cobb, mathematics assisstant professor, picks up trash in the grass as a volunteer at the Sikes Lake cleanup, Sept. 12, 2015. Photo by Rawlecia Rogers.

More than 160 volunteers met and picked up 500 pounds of trash at Sikes Lake, Sept. 12 along the lake’s shores and pathways, the 10th year of the cleanup.

Activities Committee Chairperson for the Rolling Plains Chapter of the Texas Master Naturalists Terry McKee said she was proud of the turnout, though it fell short of the best year in 2011, when 200 volunteers cleaned up two tons of trash around the lake.

“I’m really proud that there are so many people concerned about their environment,” McKee said.

McKee said the student turnout encouraged other people around the lake that day to help clean up and do their part. “MSU is definitely setting a good example,” she said.

Among the volunteers were groups from campus, including the tennis team, the soccer team, and the Association for Computer Machinery.

Computer science sophomore and member of the ACM, Travis Rowe, said, “It was shocking to see how much litter there was in and around the lake. It’s such a nice place and it’s right next to campus, so it’s important for us to make sure it looks nice.”

Marisa Gomez, radiology freshman, said anyone can make a difference in their community, and keeping Sikes Lake looking beautiful is important to the campus.

“A lot of people come here to walk, and run, and they even come here to look at the ducks and enjoy the view,” she said.