What I would tell my freshman self

From the first moment of novelty and excitement as a college student, there is the lingering possibility of graduation, the reality that seems distant at the start of the college experience. The thrill of graduation is talked about often but the journey leading up to it is often disregarded. And so, there is the question of what information is relevant to know before walking across that stage, what in hindsight a graduating senior could share with a freshman version of  themselves at the most awaited moment of graduation.

Mara Hill tells her freshman self that she should reach outside of her comfort zone and make new friends. Photos courtesy of Mara Hill.

Mara Hill | Marketing senior

“I would tell my freshman self to make new friends, don’t stick with people you already know from your culture, build a network, build connections, be involved in more activities on campus, join different organizations, don’t stick in your comfort zone but be more open to trying new things and meeting new people and have fun. I mean we came for school but I think there is a time for it, we should just have fun and experience especially as an international student, experience the life in America.”

Yohann Isaac tells his freshman self to have as much discipline as possible. Photo courtesy of Yohann Isaac.

Yohann Isaac | Accounting and management information systems senior

“I would tell my freshman self to try your best to enjoy your day-to-day being in college and having the university experience because when you go to the working world it’s going to be completely different so I would just try to take it all in, try to go to more events, try and enjoy the little things and I would remind myself, you should always work hard now to make your life easier in the future, so just try to have as much discipline as possible because motivation can go away but discipline will always stay with you.”

Norma Benjamin advises her freshman self to prioritize school work but leave time for fun. Photos courtesy of Norma Benjamin.

Norma Benjamin | Finance senior

“I would tell my freshman self to be more involved. Engage with people and social activities. Network and learn as much as I can from others. Also prioritize when it comes to school work but leave some space to have a bit of fun.”

John Sheppard tells his freshman self that reaching out when he needs help is okay. Photos courtesy of John Sheppard.

John Sheppard | Finance senior

“I would tell my freshman self to be super organized. Make sure you understand what the syllabus says and what is expected of you. Get an organizer or use your cell phone’s calendar to plan out the semester. Reach out to friends, classmates and professors when you need help. Learn from your mistakes and above all have confidence in your own abilities. Lastly, have fun.”

Amanda Threlkeld suggests that while studying is important, students should focus on the experiences of college, as well. Photos courtesy of Amanda Threlkeld.

Amanda Threlkeld | Accounting, management information systems and non-profit management senior

“Don’t worry about starting college solo, you will build a community and connections faster once you get involved. Focus more on the experiences, friends and memories instead of staying in the room to study. Take one thing at a time, it all works out. As a first generation student, get connected with the same group and the First2Go organization on campus. Start your major and minor earlier so you don’t add extra time and take the proper courses. Study abroad as often as you can and start the process early. Don’t be afraid to make friends because they will be instrumental in your college experience and hopefully life journey.”