MSU students get lit the night before homecoming literally –

Colin Stevenson

Accounting senior Kassidy Knight is held up by cheerleaders kinesiology senior DanLee Duncan, mechanical engineering junior Robert Hollingsworth and nursing senior Ashleigh Miller as they all stand in front of the bonfire, Oct. 29.

The night before homecoming here at MSU Texas, was a night of overwhelming anticipation and excitement. The torchlight parade consisted of a march led by band, color guard, the MSU cheer team and then the student body while holding up torches. They marched to the parking lot across the soccer practice fields and awaited the final performances of the lip sync contestants, recognized all MSU athletics, plunged free MSU merch into the crowd and lastly, set other university shirts on fire in the towering bonfire.

Denistry junior Brenlee Bowden shares her torch fire with criminal justice sophomore Alexis King during the Torchlight Parade.
Dentistry junior Brenlee Bowden shares her torch fire with criminal justice sophomore Alexis King during the Torchlight Parade, Oct. 29. (Colin Stevenson)

“I like majority of our schools traditions I believe it brings a lot of students out of their comfort zones.I have nothing against the bonfire it’s a fun event. It feels good to be able celebrate homecoming week with the bonfire,” Cryselle Dunlap, psychology senior, said.

Dunlap says the bonfire creates a great environment and likes seeing everyone congratulate the athletic teams for their hard work.

Alumni Association Board president Diann Taylor leads a MSU cheer shortly before the annual homecoming bonfire.
Alumni Association Board president Diann Taylor leads a MSU cheer shortly before the annual homecoming bonfire, Oct. 29. (Colin Stevenson)

“Seeing everyone show love to all of the athletic teams for their hard work and dedication was just a great environment,” Dunlap said.

Faayo Shogbanmu, nursing senior, says he enjoys school traditions because he feels they bring everyone together. Due to COVID-19, Shogbanmu says he missed the homecoming activities.

“I missed being able to actually go to events with my friends and just have a good time, I think school traditions really bring everyone together and I enjoy that. Especially since we are seniors, I even have friends graduating this semester and so it’s the last time we are going to be able to enjoy things like this together before we all go on to our future’s,” Shogbanmu said.