Let’s Chat: coming to a dorm near you

October 9, 2020

Sept. 12 through Oct. 3, Midwestern State University’s Counseling Center is partnering up with Residence Life and Housing to trial a new wellness program called Let’s Chat.

Let’s Chat brings counselors directly to the lobbies of the dormitories on campus. It attempts to reduce geographic barriers for students seeking access to the campus mental health services. 

The program occurs on Saturdays from 12 P.M. to 5 P.M. Counselors are available to talk to through this timeframe, but they provide no commitment nor confidential consultations.

“They’re not providing therapy services,” Zachary Zoet, the Licensed Practicing Counselor-Intern facilitating the program, said. “But they are able to help answer questions about the counseling center, mental health services, to chat with you or to listen about a problem or concern.”

Appointments aren’t necessary to receive the benefits provided by Let’s Chat.

“[The consultations] are first-come, first-serve,” Zoet said, “and are designed to be casual and drop-in by nature.”

Every session is different. With time and context being dependent on the student, sessions can vary from listening and providing support, answering questions about services, or providing strategies for dealing with test anxiety or homesickness.

“It’s a great resource to try and dip your toes into the waters of learning about mental health resources on campus,” Zoet said. “Or a good way to get a friend that information or potentially needed support.”

All dates, times and locations for Let’s Chat are available on MustangsLink.

The Counseling Center is open Monday through Friday from 8 A.M. to 5 P.M.