About 850 people workout at Wellness Center throughout the week days during the fall and spring semester. (Cortney Wood)
About 850 people workout at Wellness Center throughout the week days during the fall and spring semester.

Cortney Wood

The Wellness Center is ‘good to go’ amid extension of spring break due to COVID-19

March 12, 2020

Recreational Sports and Wellness Center Director Angie Reay sent an email to her employees Thursday, March 12, in regards to the extension of spring break due to COVID-19.

“Beginning on Monday, March 23, all group fitness classes and recreational sports are postponed until further notice. Our Directors of Student Affairs met and have also decided to postpone all student activities/organized gatherings, until further notice. When we are able to resume fitness classes and recreational sports, we will notify you,” Reay said.

The Wellness Center has a rotating “cleaning” shift, and Reay has confidence in her staff to maintain the Wellness Center’s cleanliness policy.

“We clean each section of the gym a minimum of two times a day as far as the equipment and everything,” Reay said. “We also have a full-time custodian that takes care of the routine and deep cleaning of all of the bathrooms, locker rooms, floors, etc. We clean any equipment that is returned… and we have nighttime custodians that help out as well.”

Like all holiday breaks, the student-workers will perform a ‘deep clean’ of the entire Wellness Center during spring break, in preparation for the rest of the school year.

“During spring break, we do a lot of deep cleaning in our group fitness rooms and different areas of the gym,” Reay said. “We will see what the traffic of the gym looks like so we can determine if we need to take any extra precautions. We’re proactive with how we clean, so I see us continuing to do that and adding any measures seeing how everything goes.”

Cleanliness
Cleanliness tips from Recreational Sports and Wellness Center Director Angie Reay.

Reay has advised that everyone should do their part in maintaining a clean environment when working out.

“Even though we do a good job of cleaning all of the equipment, we can’t get to it every time someone uses it,” Reay said.

Despite the concern around campus, Reay is staying level headed and is paying close attention to updates.

“We are good to go. We have really great staff in place; we have good custodial staff,” Reay said. “If it does get to a point where we need extra help, we can always work with facilities if we felt we needed that.”

Thursday, March 12 and Friday, March 13, the Wellness Center will stay open during regular hours, along with recreational sports and fitness classes. On Saturday, March 14, the spring break schedule will commence: Monday-Thursday 5:15 a.m.-10:00 p.m., Friday 5:15 a.m.-8:00 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays 10:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m., with no group fitness classes.