Business sophomore and inside fielder Brook Taylor points to special education senior and outside fielder Lauren Lindgren after she hits a home run, allowing Taylor to get a run on the board against UT Tyler. March 8. (Bridget Reilly)
Business sophomore and inside fielder Brook Taylor points to special education senior and outside fielder Lauren Lindgren after she hits a home run, allowing Taylor to get a run on the board against UT Tyler. March 8.

Bridget Reilly

Softball splits the double header

March 8, 2020

The softball team took on #2 UT-Tyler in a doubleheader on a rainy Sunday, March 8.

The Mustangs were able to split the two games, losing 9-2 the first game and winning the second by a score of 7-5.

Bailey Wamsley watches the ball fly after her swing
Colin Stevenson
Sophomore Bailey Wamsley watches the ball fly after her swing. March 8.

The Mustangs struggled through the first game, falling behind early 2-0 after the first two innings, but that didn’t stop Bailey Brenek (No. 16), catcher and education freshman, from hitting a 2-run shot over the wall to bring them within one run.

Although the team came up short in the end, the coaches went into the intermission with a positive mindset.

“We’ve had a little bit of a rough start, but [we’re] just letting the girls know that they can walk on the field with everybody in this conference, they just have to put it all together. We’ve got to have everything working together — coaching, defense and hitting — to win ball games,” Amanda Thomas, assistant coach, said.

Jacey Henry winds up for her pitch against UT Tyler
Colin Stevenson
Elementary education junior Jacey Henry winds up for her pitch against UT Tyler. March 8.

With some key homers from the team’s top two sluggers on the season, the team rallied behind Mattye Tyler (No. 21) pitcher and psychology sophomore, to close the second game. Brenek homered earlier in the game to tie up the score and Lauren Lindgren (No .6), center fielder and special education senior, hit a 3-shot home run in the bottom of the 6th to give the Mustangs a 2-run lead.

“So Lauren’s home run was really big because that put us up two runs and Mattye had thrown a great game so I know we were all confident behind her,” Brenek stated. “This game was the first time she’s pitched great, and we’ve also hit great behind her so it was just a great team effort.”

Going into the 7th inning, the team’s confidence was high. Even in the nasty weather, the Lady Mustangs were able to grab three quick outs to end with a victory.

“It’s the top of the 7th and we’re ahead two runs; we just want to go out there and get out. If they score a run, they score a run. Our main focus is to get the three outs, that’s all we need,” Lindgren said.

The team hopes to continue the winning effort in the next doubleheader against the Oklahoma Christian Eagles. You can catch those games at Tom Heath Field at the Lawton Plaza in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on Friday, March 13.