Mass communcation seniors Elijah Lee and Darius Thompson and Applied arts and sciences seniors D’Monta Harris and Ola Ayodele all celebrate their careers before graduation. Feb. 22. (Stephen Gomez)
Mass communcation seniors Elijah Lee and Darius Thompson and Applied arts and sciences seniors D’Monta Harris and Ola Ayodele all celebrate their careers before graduation. Feb. 22.

Stephen Gomez

A letter from the seniors of men’s basketball

February 23, 2020

Four men’s basketball seniors played in the D.L. Ligon Coliseum for the last time against Oklahoma Christian Saturday, Feb. 22. The seniors have shed blood, sweat and tears every day to properly represent MSU Mustangs. Each senior sent in a personal letter about what being a part of MSU basketball meant to them.

D'Monta Harris is celebrated for his career
Stephen Gomez
Applied arts and sciences D’Monta Harris walks with friends to be celebrated for his career. Feb. 22.

D’monta Harris (No. 13), applied arts & science 

Dear MSU basketball,

I am thankful for my opportunities and experiences at MSU. I have been blessed to be a part of so many different remarkable teams during my career, meeting incredible people on and off of the court. The brotherhood established at MSU between my teammates and I will always be in my heart. I’ll forever be thankful for my coaches for granting me the opportunity to witness such a monumental experience, competing in front of a very loving and supportive community. #StangGang

Elijah Lee walks to celebrate his career
Stephen Gomez
Mass Communication senior Elijah Lee walks with his mother as he is celebrated for his career. Feb. 22.

Elijah Lee (No.1), mass communication

2019 Lone Star Commissioner’s Honor Roll

Dear MSU basketball,

I’m not someone who regrets many things in life, but I will say that it would’ve been nice to start and finish my college career at MSU. I spent my junior year taking mostly online classes, which hindered me from connecting with campus life. I didn’t think much of it until the first semester of my senior year when I began taking all of my classes on campus. This opened my eyes to what being a Mustang means. The Media Writing and Reporting class, taught by Dr. Bradley Wilson, was the beginning of my networking. The class forced me out of my comfort zone and ultimately catapulted me into becoming more social. Since then, I’ve had the privilege of developing relationships with amazing classmates and professors. I’ve felt myself grow more this year than any of my others in college, and I am thankful to the MSU community for promoting that. I am also extremely grateful for the basketball community in particular. I was homeschooled in high school and played for a homeschool organization. So, all of the games that I played were away. I hadn’t gotten the chance to play in front of a home crowd until I got to college, and not to knock my old school, but the fans were nothing like the fans here. Someone once told me that the most important decisions I would make in life would be choosing what school to attend and what woman to marry. I can say with confidence that I made the right choice in coming here. To the mustang community, thank you for the endless love and support. Although my time here was brief, I’ll always love this place and cherish the memories and relationships that were built.

Ola Ayodele is celebrated for his career
Stephen Gomez
Arts and applied sciences senior Ola Ayodele walk with friends as he is celebrated for his career. Feb. 22.

Ola Ayodele (No.15), general studies

Dear MSU basketball,

MSU has been my home for the last 3 years and I’m grateful for the opportunity Coach Nelson Haggerty and Justin Leslie gave me. Taking a chance on a Foreign kid all the way from London means more to me than anything! I’ve made some life long friends since I’ve been here, who have welcomed me with open arms. All I can say is thank you from the bottom of my heart and I’ll forever be a ‘Stang.

Darius Thompson holds his framed jersey
Stephen Gomez
Mass Communication senior Darius Thompson holds his framed jersey as he is celebrated for his career. Feb. 22.

Darius Thompson (No.3), mass communication

Dear MSU basketball,

“MSU means so much to me. From the old coaching staff to the new coaches, they have embraced me in a lot of ways. Helping me become a better player. I spent a lot of hours here working on my game trying to be the best version of me. So I appreciate MSU so much, and it will forever be in my heart.”