Abigail Mathews, a nursing freshmen, pies Michael Gonzales and Jorge Morales at Omega Delta Phi “Pie a Phi” event in Clark Student Center. Photo by Bradley Wilson

Groups educate students about how to have safe spring break

March 14, 2019

Administrators and students gathered in the Clark Student Center Atrium March 14 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. to learn about having a safe spring break. Hosts and participants learned unique and informational tips to help them be safe as they begin their spring break.

Demi Darville
Demi Darville

Demi Darville, radiology senior | “It’s about Spring Break and being safe. They’re giving you tips and free water and a shirt. A lot of students when they go out to Spring Break they sometimes are not aware and sometimes end up in a crisis and don’t know how to deal with it. This is important so you can just be more aware when you’re out for Spring Break.”

ryan kelly
Ryan Kelly

Ryan Kelly, political science freshman | “It’s about being safe over Spring Break, not getting to drunk. A lot of people get sexually assaulted over Spring Break and a lot of people [have a] drug overdose, pass out, and stuff like that. It’s safe to know about the precautions for girls not to get drugged and stuff like that.”

Michael Washington
Michael Washington

Michael Washington, sociology senior| “Safe Spring Break is all about making sure students have the knowledge, that when they go on spring break that they’re safe and their friends are safe. Avoiding any negative consequences, not having injuries, and avoiding any illegal activities. Avoiding things that will put them in jail or in the hospital.”

Lindsey Sarabia
Lindsey Sarabia

Lindsey Sarabia, education junior | “It’s essentially meant to raise awareness while teaching students how to protect themselves against the usual pitfalls of spring break. We want students to be safe, so this event is important.”

Tahyra Noel
Tahyra Noel

Tahyra Noel, education graduate | “It is informing students about ways to be safe and have a good time over spring break. You can drink but make sure you are with people, make sure you don’t drive and get an Uber. We have $25 gift cards that you can win. Also, telling students it’s a time to have fun but also a time to be cautious.”