SGA to celebrate international cultures March 11-13

As a way to celebrate international cultures, the Student Government Association is collaborating with organizations to have three days of activities from March 11-March 13.

Kerdell Cuffy, finance senior, senior class senator and chair of the campus culture committee, is the organizer of the event. She said the three events occurring are World Explorer, Being A Global Citizen and World Languages and Cuisine. Cuffy proposed the idea to the culture climate committee to get students engaged with international cultures.

Cuffy said “[The purpose of the events are for students] to engage with international cultures, to break barriers and to be comfortable with each other.”

SGA is sponsoring the events and the University Programming Board, the Office of Equity, Inclusion, and Multicultural Affairs, and the Student Involvement Office are co-sponsoring the events by promoting and planning the three days with approximately a $400 budget.

World Explorer

Cuffy said the event will consist of booths with various cultural-based organizations. There will also be light snacks that are unique to each organization’s culture and international DJ Stasis will be the entertainment for the day.

Alaska Carillo-Bell, biology and pre-med junior and president of Sigma Lambda Alpha Sorority, said the organization is participating to share their culture with the student body.

Carillo-Bell said, “We will be having [Mexican] tres-leches cake and banana bread [from Dominica].”

Luz Maria Garcia, nursing sophomore and president of the Organization of Hispanic Students, said they will be giving “pan dulce,”  Mexican sweet bread, and “aguas frescas,” a light beverage consisting of fruits, grains, or seeds, water, and sugar.

“We are going to be giving out pan dulce and aguas frescas,” Garcia said. “We are planning on putting music that is traditional [and] that it is apart of our culture.”

Being a Global Citizen

The Director of International Education Michael Mills who will lead the session and will be followed by panelist that consist of faculty members. The floor will also be open for students to answer and give their views on questions the panelist will be answering. Prizes will also be given out.

Cuffy said, “The panel will be about what is international culture, the importance and the impact of international culture at MSU Texas, at the global stage, in people’s personal lives.”

World Languages and Cuisines

The location of the event will be at the Sikes Lake Center. The organizations will be providing food from different cultures. Food will be limited. Language booths will be set up for students to learn or practice their foreign language skills. Dance performances by Zavala International Dance and St. Kitts and Nevis Masqueraders will be starting at 7 p.m. MSU vans will be picking students up starting at 6:30 p.m. at the bus stops on Louis J. Rodriguez Drive, near Killingsworth residence hall, and in front of the Moffett library. Vans will be arriving approximately every 30 minutes at each stop. The last ride will be at 9:30 p.m.

“Our main performance is the Zavala International Dance group and they’re Mexican-heritage, nonprofit cultural dancing,” said Kerdell. “They dance beautifully.”

Jernelle Jonbaptiste, management information systems senior and second vice president of the Caribbean Student Organization, said the organizations will be having dancers perform.

Jonbaptiste said, “We want to help people learn more about different cultures. Globalization is something that is very real. We are going to school here in Texas, that itself is globalization.”